Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neilpotter
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Neil Potter

Wrong disk config / Data not backed up / Sloooow

Post by neilpotter »

My sister company is having soom backup issues
They have a windows 2012R2 server VM running under ESXi5.5
The VM has a 200Gb Boot drive, and then a 12Tb Data Drive made up of 9 x 1.36Tb drives on 9 x LUN’s.
The way the drive has been created in windows is by creating a Storage Pool under File & Storage Services, using the disks, and then creating the 12Tb volume (Thin Provisioned) ready for windows to use.
The drive has approx 50Gb of data on it currently, and the boot drive about 16Gb.
So when we try a backup with Veeam 9, it seems to scan the entire 12Tb volume, taking 33 hours, but only backing up 13.3Gb. When we try and do a file level restore, only the boot drives appears.

What are we doing wrong? Is this the wrong way to setup a drive under the VM, or is there a setting in Veeam/VmWare to make it work.

On my own system, we used windows disk management to create a spanned drive of multiple 2Tb VM disks and that works fine, but I’m keen to not have to create this “faulty” and move all the data around.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Wrong disk config / Data not backed up / Sloooow

Post by foggy »

neilpotter wrote:So when we try a backup with Veeam 9, it seems to scan the entire 12Tb volume, taking 33 hours, but only backing up 13.3Gb.
Do you mean this happens each time you trigger the backup job or just during the initial run?
neilpotter wrote:When we try and do a file level restore, only the boot drives appears.
I'd let technical support staff take a look at this.