Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
besopenko
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Esopenko

Backup Copy Job Setup Help

Post by besopenko »

Hello,

There has been a lot of useful material in these forums as well as the blogs and manuals which has been a great help so far but I wanted to make sure we have our backup copy job setup properly to do what we need or if we should be taking a different approach.

We are looking to store a full backup on the Friday of every week to keep for 4 weeks, a full backup on the last day of every month to for 12 months and a full backup on the last day of every year to keep for 10 years.

At first I was going to setup a seperate backup job for performing the backups at the end of the month retaining 12 restore points and another backup job for performing the backup at the end of the year retaining 10 restore points but then from what I was reading on the forums a Backup Copy Job would be the best way to do this instead.

So I setup a Backup Copy Job with the "Keep the following restore points for archival purposes" option selected and Weekly backup set to 4, Monthly backup set to 12 and Yearly backup set to 10. For the schedule I have the Weekly backup set to Friday at 6:00 PM which is the same time that our Backup Job runs and performs a full backup for the week. The Monthly backup is set to the Last day of the month and the Yearly backup is set to the Last day of December of the year.

The Backup Job that ran last night (last day of the month) would be an incremental backup instead of a full (since it's not a Friday) so with the Backup Copy Job running now (for the first time) would it see that it is the last day of the month and pull a full backup instead of an incremental? When I check the status of the job it says Incremental at the top so I wanted to make sure I was doing it right or if it is doing what I want it to do but just always say Incremental and I can ignore that.

Hopefully that all makes sense but if more details are needed please let me know what is needed and I will provide them. Thanks in advance for the help with this.

Brad
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup Copy Job Setup Help

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Brad and welcome to the community!

Your setup of the backup copy job looks right according to what you're after.
Don't worry, there is no matter if it incremental or full run of the backup job because backup copy job creates a separate backup chain and copying not the files but the data of most recent VMs state.
So when all necessary data will be in the repository the backup copy job will synthesize a full backup according to the setup.

Thanks!
besopenko
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Esopenko

Re: Backup Copy Job Setup Help

Post by besopenko »

Thank you DGrinev! It's great to know that I have it setup correctly and that it will capture the full backup.