Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Encrypted credentials for Configurator improvements needed

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

I'm trying to export my Agent configuration from one computer to import to future devices, but the documentation surrounding this is lacking.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

Specifically, 1c says:
Encrypt the byte array with one of supported encryption methods.

There are no concrete examples of how to do this in the linked page: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

Base64 looks to just be encoding and not encrypting, so easily decoded into the original text
DES I can't find a clear way to encrypt my password to DES to copy and paste into the XML. I've found powershell for SHA1 but that is it. Also, DES is aging, isn't it? Would this be 3DES?
ProtectedData CurrentUser and LocalMachine aren't what I'm looking for as I want other administrators to be able to install the Agent on other devices, not only one the same device and not only myself.
SHA256 is mentioned in the Encryption page, but not listed on Encryption Methods page and still don't know how to get the encrypted output needed

I may be misunderstanding what I need to do, so some additional clarity and steps to perform are needed. Or just give me the option to have Configurator export the passwords if I really want it to.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Encrypted credentials for Configurator improvements need

Post by Dima P. »

Hi JoshuaPostSAMC,

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your questions.
Base64 looks to just be encoding and not encrypting, so easily decoded into the original text
That’s true. We decided to keep Base64 as a simplest way to protect credentials stored in xml during import procedure.

Can you please clarify are you looking for an option to encrypt your credentials or you would like to type them in a plain text? Thanks in advance.
JoshuaPostSAMC
Expert
Liked: 22 times

Re: Encrypted credentials for Configurator improvements need

Post by JoshuaPostSAMC »

1) I don't understand why configurator doesn't have an option to export the password if the end user desires. By not exporting it, and then making end users go to another tool to convert the password to Base64, it adds an extra step outside of Veeam and more chances to incorrectly configure something.

2) The documentation makes it sound like it supports other encryption such as DES for the password, but doesn't show how to encrypt to this or what additional changes need to be done in the XML file to support this.