Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
antonk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton Kobrinsky

Feature request: GFS backup abilities

Post by antonk »

Hi,

I have found out that in my current configuration I'm missing two features:

1. For instance, I have some full backup to disk, that includes 15 servers, but only single server from those 15 should have a data copy to tape. Unfortunately, I cant create a separate job for this server, since its snapshot should be co-timed with another set of servers, present in this job. Also, I can't perform a file copy and backup another repository, due to a large size of such a server - almost 1.5TB of data. The backup is performed as per-vm backup, so each server, been backed up by this job has separate vbk and vib files.

2. The Full backup of the servers is starting on Friday, the copy to tape job is scheduled to Saturday. In GFS setting I can't specify time of begging of this job, it starts automatically at midnight, which still is overlapping production servers backup. I wish to have an option to start it at a specified time, for instance at 8 in the morning, when all disk jobs are already finished and done.

Thanks for fast response...
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature request: GFS backup abilities

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Anton and welcome to the community!
1. What backup method do you use for the disk job? Since you leverage per-VM backup, indeed the best workaround for you is to use file-to-tape job.
2. That`s a popular request. We will take yours into account.
Thanks for the feedback!
antonk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton Kobrinsky

Post by antonk »

Thanks for response,

I'm using an incremental backup with synthetic full. I'm backing up to EMC Data Domain. So, there is no option for me to use reversed incremental method, since it's against best practices for DDBoost, and also I can't run incremental forever, since the customer policy is specified for 90 checkpoints, and for production servers, such as Exchange, FileServer and SAP he wants to enlarge them to 120 restore points.
The workaround does not help me much, since the weekly vbk file name is changed according to date, it has been created and it is never the same file, which has been specified in the job. Also, the file-to-tape job does not have any ability to specify any parameters of the files, that I want to backup. For instance: Please backup all file, which have vbk file ending, and were created during last three days.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the reply, Anton!
We will take your request into account.