Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
flakpyro
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David M

Linux agent and Backup mode

Post by flakpyro »

Hi everyone, im in the process of reviewing the configuration of our offsite backup jobs, we have an Linux server at an offsite WAN location connected to us via a 100Mbps link, i understand running Linux as the target allows the Veeam agent to do processing on the storage device itself, i have also set the job to optimize for a WAN target. My question is, is it better to do Reversed Incremental or Incremental with synthetic fulls to this offsite location? To our local backup target im using Reversed Incremental but i was not sure if the Linux agent will work with that backup mode.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Linux agent and Backup mode

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello David,

Both modes will work well for your kind of setup, please review sticky FAQ topic which contains a comparison table that should help you choosing the best backup mode: >>> READ THIS FIRST : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<<

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Both modes will work equally well, but incremental might be slightly better for fast WAN target such as one you have, because this backup mode generally provides for faster incremental backups, so the time your VM runs off snapshot is minimized, which reduces the size of snapshot and so the time it takes to commit snapshot data into VMDK once backup job finishes. Thanks!
flakpyro
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David M

Post by flakpyro »

Perfect, thanks! Thats another thing i was wondering, 100mbps isnt what most WAN links would be classified as, ill experiment with both methods thanks guys! :)