Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
antonk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton Kobrinsky

Feature request: VM backup visibility

Post by antonk »

Hi,

I would like to request the following feature. Right now, if I have a huge list of VMs, in Backup and Replication console, on Virtual Machines screen I don't see, if this servers are a part of any backup or replication job. It would be nice to see, if they are really a part of some job, but if that's less possible, the nice thing would be to have, at lease, information, if the server is been added to backup or replication job. For this, I would suggest to add two columns on the current VM list screen - one "Is a part of Backup job" and another "Is a part of Replication job" and at list show some green sign that the server is been added to backups. Right now, if I have a screen with multiple VMs, I have now clue, if they were added to any of the jobs or not. The proper screenshot is attached. Image

Thanks in advance...
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature request: VM backup visibility

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Anton,
Your request has some cases which can bewilder users, such as VM is added to a job, but job is not scheduled, VM is added to a job, but job fails etc. Besides if you add backup and replica, users may want to have backup copy, tape, surebackup columns which will bring a mess to the UI.
Do you use Veeam ONE? There are such reports as VM Backup Status and Protected VMs to make sure your jobs are backed up successfully within required RPO.
Thanks!
antonk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Anton Kobrinsky

Post by antonk »

In many case customers do not have VeeamOne installed or purchased. It would be nice, that you simply add an ability to see this fields on customer demand. For instance: I need to see fields, that correspond to backup and replication, so I will select them from available list. Other customer will need to see tape compliancy jobs, so he will select them from the list. Again, this feature is very helpful in large scale environments, where I have hundred or so VMs, with the different roles of use, but no VeeamONE, since the customer has another monitoring system or simply does not want to get another monitoring software, which he won't use and which use case, in this particular scenario, will be only to check backup compliancy status.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point, Anton, but I`m not sure if it`s a good idea to add more columns into VBR UI.
Customers with smaller infrastructures without Veeam ONE don`t additional fields in VBR UI as well while customers with thousands of VMs need backup monitoring tool anyway.
Thanks!