Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tommmoe
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tom

Virtual/Physical RDM + Oracle + RHEL 6.7

Post by tommmoe »

Hi All,

We are currently testing and working out our options for backing up a RHEL 6.7 VM (Can upgrade to 7.2 if need be), this VM has RDM's mounted with Oracle GRID disks and ASM.

For some reason we can't use Virtual RDM because the disks can't be seen or accessed but switching to Physical fixes this and it works, I understand that we can't take snapshots of Physical compatibility mode RDM's but I'm unsure why we can't set it to Virtual..

We are using an EMC VNX for storage by the way!

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this please? Possible workarounds or other methods that we could use?

Cheers
sg_sc
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: sg_sc

Re: Virtual/Physical RDM + Oracle + RHEL 6.7

Post by sg_sc »

I wont comment on the possibility of Veeam B&R to backup a VM with (physical) RDM disks, perhaps using storage integration, I do not have any knowledge about that.

But it's always a possibility to backup the RHEL VM using veeam Agent for Linux, as if it were a physical machine, you can point the agent to back-up to the Veeam B&R repository and as such then do copyjobs and more.