Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
shabbaranker
Influencer
Liked: never

Backing up to tape priority

Post by shabbaranker »

Hi,
Is there a way to set a priority on backing up to tape? As I understood it, the order was based on the job start time and so if you had a daily weekly and monthly backup which happened to fall on a same day which ever job started first would take priority? The reason I ask is I set a job to run (monthly) expecting the daily not to run and it did?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backing up to tape priority

Post by foggy »

Are you after a GFS-like backup scheme for your tape backups?
shabbaranker
Influencer

Post by shabbaranker »

Thanks for the reply - not really a GFS. Its just separate full backup to tape jobs which could potentially fall on the same day. Am I correct in thinking the scheduled time should dictate which jobs take priority? Also am I correct in thinking if you have a month end job running at say 17:50 and a daily scheduled at 17:55 the daily shouldn't run because the month end is running? As if that's the case for some reason the daily backup ignored the fact the monthly was running in our case :(
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Those are two independent jobs, having no connection to each other. So, in this case monthly job wouldn't prevent daily one from running. The job started later should be placed on hold, if there are no available drives . Thanks.
shabbaranker
Influencer

Post by shabbaranker »

Hi,
Thanks that clears up why the job ran. Placing a job on hold - will that defer the job completely until its scheduled to run the next time? By that I mean I'll add a script to place any other job on hold whilst the monthly is backing up, I'll then add a script to take the job off hold at the end of the monthly job but I don't want the daily job to run at that point until its next scheduled date if that makes sense?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It makes sense indeed. You can search through these forums, there must be examples of scripts that people use to enable and disable daily job when it overlaps with weekly or monthly one. Thanks.