Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
egrutman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Yevgeniy Grutman

veeam support

Post by egrutman »

I wish I could do this anonymously, but it seems like you need to use a business e-mail to register on the forums. Has anyone else had an issue with Veeam support? Opened a case with Veeam today and they told me to use windows server backup to test to make sure it is not a server issue. That to me is like saying don't use our product use the other one..
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: veeam support

Post by Shestakov »

Hello and welcome to the community!
Usually our customers don`t have problems with support team.
If you are not satisfy with the quality of provided support, just let us know what was your case number and we will forward the feedback to the support team management.
Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Most likely, you came across issues with MS VSS framework and support engineer tried to limit the list of potential suspects. If you get the same issue while working with Windows Backup, this will mean that the issue is not caused by Veeam and you will need to reach MS representative for further assistance. Thanks.
yunales
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: P K

Post by yunales »

it depends who you get. Sometimes the support guys want to close cases as fast as possible, and sometimes a real deep down analysis is made.

Just don't try to create cases for snapshot removal, creation or long stun times etc. they will ALWAYS tell you it's a VMware issue(since VMware API is used). And VMware will tell you it's a custom VEEAM Api which is used, been there saw that :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, for issue with snapshot removal, creation or long stun time there is a simple confirmation check - take a VM snapshot, using vSphere client, keep it long enough (the time similar to the one backup job takes), delete it and see whether the problem is reproduced without Veeam presence. If the issue re-appears - Veeam will have nothing to do with that.

That's why for similar cases support engineer would typically suggest this confirmation procedure as initial investigation step.
egrutman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Yevgeniy Grutman

Post by egrutman »

Just an update I guess someone more experienced reached out to me since this post. I guess Veeam is more pro-active in terms of support and customer complaints. Personally/professionally I had no gripe with the technician I was working with before and sensed he was just covering bases except for the fact that when he saw VSS error and jumped on thinking it was a Microsoft issue without even looking into if it could be related to Veeam or asking for any logs.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Yevgeniy,
Indeed, I`ve asked support to reach you and explain the situation.
At the same time customer support managers investigate the case and they summed up that the support engineer did nothing wrong, he asked you to use windows server backup as a part of isolation method. We are testing with Windows Backup to isolate the VSS issue. Probably it just was explained poorly.
Thanks!