Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
joemagjr
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: joemagjr

Copy Speeds from local storage to removable drive

Post by joemagjr »

We are using the FastSCP functionality through Backup & Replication 4.1.1

All the backup and repl jobs work great and at lighing speeds. The problem comes in when we attempt to "copy" the backup files from local storage and "paste" them to a removable drive that is attached via esata that is hot swapable used for off-site storage of our backups.

We downloaded a benchmark utility and did some testing.

The 1T drives are rated at 88 megs per second average write speed in the benchmark testing on our hardware setup.

We used syncback (a freeware backup tool that we use for moving files around on the network) to write a 55.2 gig file

Estimated speed is: 55 gig x 1024 meg = 56320 megs/60=938.6 seconds=15.64 minutes

ACTUAL speed when we run the job=17.5 minutes

If 55 megs is 1/10th of our data, then it would take 2.92 hours to copy 550 GB if speeds stayed consistent.

When we use FastSCP, the throughput falls off to 9megs it takes 18 hours to copy 550gbs from a local C:drive to and external drive. Can FastSCP not be used in this configuration? What it purely designed to copy just from ESX to ESX.

We wanted to use it so that we did not need to use yet another backup software for this one process. having the database keeping the log is a plus also.

any help is greatly appreciated.thanks
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Re: Copy Speeds from local storage to removable drive

Post by bunger »

We experienced something similar - I think. We were backing up from inside a VM to internal drives and SAN drives and this met our performance expectations; however, backups to external drives ( we tried USB drives ) were pathetic - though everything was USB 2.0, something in the ESX layer slowed down transmission speeds to less than USB 1.1.

Are you backing up from inside a VM through ESX to the external drive? You could be experiencing the same thing...

Bill
joemagjr
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: joemagjr

Post by joemagjr »

Veeam is running on a seperate peice of hardware, Dell poweredge 2900 which is outside of the vm infastructure. We backup out vm's from this server to this servers local storage. Then we have attached a removable drive to the dell 2900 server via estata (we also have tested with USB). Using the copy feature of fastscp iside of the veeam product, we copy the data from the local storage backup off to the removable drive. This is where it falls on ots face.

Did you guys find a resolution?

thanks,
Mark
bunger
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Bill Unger

Post by bunger »

Unfortunately, we haven't yet found a completely acceptable removable option. All of our VMs are stored on a SAN, so our current backup plan is this:

- replicate VMs to internal drives on each of our ESX boxes ( there are 3 boxes ). This basically covers us if the SAN drops out

- backup mission-critical apps ( Exchange, SQL Server, user data ) to tape. These are rotated off site

In the next phase of the project, we will put a 2nd SAN in an offsite location and backup/replicate to that.

Bill
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

OK, so I just made a test with FastSCP 3.0.2 copy/pasting the file in FastSCP Servers tree from one volume on my desktop to another one (separate hard drives). It took 2 minutes sharp to copy over 9,278,144KB file, which gives 75MB/s average throughtput. Which is exactly what I would expect from those cheap and outdated consumer hard drives I have - they were clearly the bottleneck here. So I am definitely not seeing any performance issues in FastSCP engine on my end. May be a few more people can perform similar test?