Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rntguy
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rnt Guy

Restore from VBK file

Post by rntguy »

Hello,

If you only have the VBK files from an old job and no VBM file, can you import that file and restore data from it (guest files or application files for example)?

We have a really old set that doesn't have a job or VBM file for some reason and we'd like to delete the vib files from it and just retain the fulls (vbk). We'd have to scan that folder for future use of course.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore from VBK file

Post by foggy »

Yes, you will be able to perform all types of restores from this file after importing it to Veeam B&R.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

thank you. what is the effect of losing the VBK file.

does it matter that these VIB files are in the veeam cloud and not local VB&R repository?
BartP
Veeam Software
Liked: 62 times
Full Name: Bart Pellegrino

Post by BartP »

since a VIB (or VRB for that matter) is only partial data (changed blocks, not changed files) it won't work without VBK file
Bart Pellegrino,
Technical Account Manager - EMEA
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

Hi BartP,

Sorry, I mistyped. What I meant is, what is the effect of not having the VBM file to go along with the VBK. Say for example the VBM file gets corrupted somehow and all I can restore is the VBK file (no VIB or VRB files either). Can Veeam scan that VBK file and do a restore? Does it take longer and regenerate a VBM file or something? If I have 5 VBK files and no VBM file will it simply not have a chain and does that matter if there's no VIB or VRB files anyway?

THanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

VBM file is not required for restore, you can import the VBK file itself.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

Thanks foggy. what is the VBM file used for then? If you had VIB files you wanted to restore from would it need it?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It stores backup metadata for fast access. For example, if you select VBM during import, the process will go significantly faster.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

Awesome, thanks. So only impacts the speed of the import. Good to know.

One last question - Is there any reason any of this would change if the VBK file were in the Veeam Cloud Connect site instead of onprem in VB&R? Here's the background info:

Our backup job chains got corrupted so the job cannot purge old VIB and VBK files per retention. We have to start a new chain. We're running low on space and I'd like to remove the job from Veeam, delete all files but the VBKs we want to keep, including the VBM file, and then rescan and have it be able to do restore from the remaining VBK files. One cloud engineer seems to think this would not be safe. I can't figure out why since the VBM file isn't critical to have as long as you have the time for a longer import scan. this has happened on multiple jobs now and we can't afford to keep around VIB data we don't need anymore.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

see case 02165465
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

If you delete VIB files, VBM will be useless, since you wouldn't be able to rescan (VBM still contains data about the entire chain while you have only a part of on disk). Just keep the VBK to be able to import it manually once the need arises (provided VBK itself is not corrupt). This is the same for cloud repository.
rntguy
Enthusiast

Post by rntguy »

Thanks foggy. Much appreciated. I'll go ahead and purge some more.
chattingh
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Carl Hattingh

Post by chattingh »

foggy wrote:Just keep the VBK to be able to import it manually once the need arises (provided VBK itself is not corrupt). This is the same for cloud repository.
I beg to differ. To my knowledge its not possible to import a VBK that is located in a cloud repository. You will need to either copy the file back locally or ask the cloud provider to import to a separate Veeam instance and regenerate the VBM for you.

Unless this is new functionality provided by 9.5 update 2?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks, Carl, you're right. Tenant is not able to import a backup located in cloud repository without .vbm file. My bad.