Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sixth
Enthusiast
Liked: never

EqualLogic ASM/VE + Veeam Backups = Safe??

Post by sixth »

I have been a long time user of Veeam Backup and its been working well for me with my EQL arrays. I am about to start deploying EQL AutoSnapshot Manager VMware Edition into my environment. I wanted to know if there are any known issues with using the EQL san based snapshots with Veeam Backups VMware snapshots? Will there be any problems using the both of these tools in combination with one another to backup VM's?

My goal is to use ASM to protect VM's with quick recovery SAN based snapshots and use Veeam for long term backup protection, aka disk based protection.

Thank you!

Jonathan
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: EqualLogic ASM/VE + Veeam Backups = Safe??

Post by Gostev »

Hi Jonathan, there are no problems at all, most people are doing exactly this. Basically, SAN snapshots used by ASM, and VMware snapshots used by Veeam are absolutely different things, done on absolutely different levels. SAN snapshot is done on SAN storage level (snapshots the whole LUN), and from ESX standpoint there is no changes at all - it still sees the same VMFS LUN from its perspective. VMware snapshot is a software snapshot done on VM level, essentially this creates extra files containing snapshot data on VMFS datastore next to each VMDK. Thus, there is no way how SAN and VMware snapshots can cause problems to each other if used in parallel. Thanks!
sixth
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Re: EqualLogic ASM/VE + Veeam Backups = Safe??

Post by sixth »

Thank you Gostev, just wanted to confirm those facts before starting testing. Glad to hear there are no issues.