Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
KeithW19
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Woodcock

Optimal Backup Config for Hyper-V Cluster

Post by KeithW19 »

I've created a diagram here:

https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/vi ... 0670516f38

We currently have 4 hosts in our cluster (VS01-VS04) attached to two SANs. All the VMs run off the Tegile SAN (dual controllers and dual switches for redundancy). The backups go to the Lenovo SAN (both SANs using iSCSI). Veeam runs on "Backupserver" and the repository runs through VS01. I am well aware this is not optimal. However I'm wondering what would be the best way to setup Veeam for the fastest backups. Here are my thoughts:

- Make backupserver a part of the cluster (but dont run any VMs on it), remove the Lenovo SAN from cluster shared storage and iSCSI it directly to the backup server. Set backupserver as the proxy for all jobs

The issue we are having is that we are backing up approximately 35 VMs and the job starts at 7pm and runs until 7am and we just barely complete it in that time. We have another 5-10 VMs we want to add to our backups but thats obviously going to put us way past our backup window and cause them to fail all the time. Let me know if you have any suggestions! Oh and for reference our read speed is usually around 60-80 MB/s and transfer speed around 8-14 MB/s which seems awfully low to me
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Optimal Backup Config for Hyper-V Cluster

Post by foggy »

Hi Keith, to define the weakest point in the processing chain, look at the bottleneck stats provided in the job session stats. They will tell at what components you should pay attention. Also consider using an off-host backup for more optimal performance.
KeithW19
Novice

Post by KeithW19 »

Hey Foggy, I ended up on a call with Veeam earlier today. They looked over our setup and determined the setup itself is ok. It appears the bottleneck is 99% source. As part of this they are having me look into syncing up Veeam with the hardware snapshot provider on the Tegile unit. I have a ticket in with Tegile to get that setup. I will also need that in order to do off-host proxy. So that is where I am at right now
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, off-host backup with the help of hardware VSS provider will allow you to improve performance and decrease the load on the source environment.
KeithW19
Novice

Post by KeithW19 »

Still waiting from Tegile to find out how I get the Hardware VSS Provider to show up in Veeam. The only option I have is the microsoft one