Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Binarytornado
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Orion Stirtz

Veeam 9.5 connection to Nexgen N5 Storage

Post by Binarytornado »

Does anyone on here have any experience setting up Veeam 9.5 Backup & Replication with a Nexgen Storage array? I have all of the IQN's in my MS 2012 R2 Server but it does not see them as available storage in Veeam. Can anyone here help me solve the issue I am having?

Thanks!
Orion
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam 9.5 connection to Nexgen N5 Storage

Post by foggy »

Hi Orion, are you trying to configure backups from this storage using direct SAN transport mode?
Binarytornado
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Orion Stirtz

Post by Binarytornado »

We have a Nexgen N5 storage unit that works with our current Veeam 8.x server. We have not had the opportunity to go to any formal training for these things so I am learning as I go. I would like to setup that same storage unit for use on our Veeam 9.5 server. I just installed it on a fresh windows 2012 R2 server and it is on the same ESXi 5.5 host as the Veeam 8.x server. I am attempting to figure out how to make our storage available on the Veeam 9.5 Server, I was told to click on "add storage" under "storage infrastructure" and that is as far as I got. Nexgen storage is not an option listed so a friend of mine told me to choose "Nimble" for our iSCSI Nexgen storage and that was as far as I could get on my own. I was unable to add storage even though I have all of the IP addresses and user/pass for the iSCSI targets. The credentials I provided connect to it were the same ones I use to access it from a browser, not sure what REST API port is..., the message I get is: "unable to connect to remote server". The storage unit does not use active directory credentials so I am kind of stuck now. Any suggestions from someone that has done this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You shouldn't add the storage under Storage Infrastructure, this one is for those Veeam B&R is closely integrated with. To be able to backup VMs residing on this storage, you just need to make sure the storage is available from the proxy server (Veeam B&R server by default) to allow one of the possible transport modes for VM data retrieval.