Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Tech471
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Hank Vare

Sizing a repository

Post by Tech471 »

Hello,

We are running VB&R 9.5.0.823. I have data I need to back up from five different SQL servers. I don't need to backup the VMs themselves but rather data that is stored on one of the drives (X:). In the event of data recovery we would basically just need to perform a Windows FLR.

My questions are 1) what are the steps to create this type of backup and 2) should I size the repository based on the total capacity of each X: drive (each is approx 1TB) or the amount of data currently residing on the drive, assuming there won't be a large data increase on these drives. The amount of data to be backed up on each drive is approx 300GB.

Thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Sizing a repository

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Hank,

1) You can create a backup job and exclude unnecessary virtual disks from the processing, then you should be able to run FLR for the only drive.
2) Please keep in mind the backup size will be smaller than the source amount of data due to compression and deduplication applied. You can try a useful tool called "Restore point simulator" for the storage planning.

If you are backing up SQL server by 3rd party or native tools you should switch Transaction logs to perform copy only. Thanks!