Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

A VSS critical writer has failed: SqlServerWriter

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

I installed a program called ACT! Premium yesterday which uses SQL Server 2014 and since then the backups have failed 55 times (retries).
27-May-16 9:52:43 AM :: Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. A VSS critical writer has failed. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter]. Class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. Instance ID: [{76301a1a-85cf-46df-ae7c-b30efafe3afc}]. Writer's state: [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT]. Error code: [0x800423f4].
Running "vssadmin list writers" in command prompt gives this error message:
Writer name: 'SqlServerWriter'
Writer Id: {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
Writer Instance Id: {76301a1a-85cf-46df-ae7c-b30efafe3afc}
State: [8] Failed
Last error: Non-retryable error
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Re: A VSS critical writer has failed: SqlServerWriter

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 2 people like this post

A reboot of the machine has fixed this error. Backup has completed successfully.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

AlexLeadingEdge,

I guess, SQL writer might be stuck in 'pending for reboot' state and that’s why you got a backup error. Thanks for sharing!
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Hi Dmitry,

It was working on Friday after a reboot but it is no longer working again this Monday morning :cry: The machine was off over the weekend.
30-May-16 8:45:36 AM :: Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. A VSS critical writer has failed. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter]. Class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. Instance ID: [{a2c4b548-3a8b-4942-a341-00088397b26e}]. Writer's state: [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT]. Error code: [0x800423f4].
Veeam Support - Case # 01811311
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks. Please do not forget to update the thread with the investigation results. Cheers!
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

From Konstantin (VEEAM):
I see that you have (or had) another backup software installed, which uses its own provider:

Provider name: 'StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Software Provider'
Provider type: Software
Provider Id: {24602736-bed9-4619-91b0-243447c6409c}

We do not recommend using another backup software side-by-side with Veeam. Please remove this StorageCraft software (if any), or use this link to remove Provider manually - http://hyper-v-backup.backupchain.com/h ... -provider/ (please check that you're removing the correct Id).

Additionally, please run the following command:

vssadmin delete shadows /all

Also there are a lot of errors in Application log with access denied errors.

Please check that SYSTEM account has full permissions to C:\ drive according to this article - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... s.10).aspx

Then restart VSS service once again and try to run a backup.
SYSTEM has Full Control access so nothing to do. I have uninstalled Shadow Protect (old version, not used anyway) and rebooted. VEEAM Endpoint Backup is now running correctly. :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Perfect. It appears that a third party VSS provider caused the issue – thanks for sharing with the community.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

I restarted the SQL Server and it still failed, then rebooted the machine and the whole machine became unresponsive, most likely losing USB keyboard and mouse. By the looks of it a file was installed to C:\ as "Program" and it caused all third party programs in "Program Files" to fail to start (including the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse software!). I crashed the computer on restart three times and managed to get it to roll back to before the latest "Critical Update" (two days ago) and it went back to normal. I have renamed the random offending file to "Program1" and it seems to be fine now.

Backup has now run successfully.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

AlexLeadingEdge,

Wow, that’s odd. Check this directory with some AV to make sure it’s safe too keep.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

I have just uploaded it to Virus Total (https://www.virustotal.com/) to scan the file with all the major antivirus products. Only one said it was a threat (DrWeb called it "DLOADER.Trojan") but all the rest say it is ok. Virus Total gave it a 100 out of 100 for safety.

It says it is related to WRDATA, which is the folder that Webroot Antivirus uses to store its database and update files. By the looks of it Webroot has tried to update and failed, leaving a badly formed install :(
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

It has done it again :(
16-Jun-16 3:23:41 PM :: Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. A VSS critical writer has failed. Writer name: [SqlServerWriter]. Class ID: [{a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}]. Instance ID: [{c2950dc7-2afe-4bd0-8c0e-6e1fe062b780}]. Writer's state: [VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_PREPARE_SNAPSHOT]. Error code: [0x800423f4].
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Going into Services and turning off SQL Server VSS Writer allows VEEAM to run.
mcrape
Veeam Software
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Matt Crape

Post by mcrape » 1 person likes this post

I had a similar issue, but mine involved the SQL VSS writer failing at install (see here).

My issue turned out that I had an old and / or corrupt dll (msvcr100.dll) in c:\windows\system32\. I ended up renaming that file re-installing without issue. Not sure if it is the same issue, but it sounds similar so I thought I would chime in.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

mcrape wrote:I had a similar issue, but mine involved the SQL VSS writer failing at install (see here).

My issue turned out that I had an old and / or corrupt dll (msvcr100.dll) in c:\windows\system32\. I ended up renaming that file re-installing without issue. Not sure if it is the same issue, but it sounds similar so I thought I would chime in.
Thank you, any help is always appreciated :) It appears to be related to a program we use called ACT! Premium, that installs SQL Server. It seems to install it badly, and when ACT! Premium is uninstalled it leaves the SQL Server in place so removing ACT! Premium doesn't even fix the issue :shock:
cmeis
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Meis

Post by cmeis »

Hello AlexLeadingEdge,

I'm fighting with the same problem, which is also occuring on workstations which have Act installed and are to be backuped by Veeam Endpoint Backup.

What did you do to make the VSS errors go away? Or do you have any further information about what the Act installer does "badly" when installing the SQL server (express)?
I have about 15 machines with failing backups due to this error now :-/

Any hints are warmly welcomed! ;-)

Best regards,
Christian
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Christian,

Any chance you opened a support case?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

I uninstalled ACT; I wish I were kidding but it was a constant headache. I didn't have the time or the inclination to figure it out, the trial period had expired and it couldn't do everything we wanted it to do in the trial period time, and ACT were unwilling to give us an extension to the trial time. I then turned off the Sql Server VSS Writer under Services. VEEAM seems to need it running (without ACT) or turned off (maybe it turns it back on using its own conditions?), no idea why this works. A simple reboot didn't seem to fix the error.

I also found that ACT blocked certain mapped drive folders from opening, giving me an eternal "Working on it...". Uninstalling ACT fixed that problem too.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Out of curiosity what SQL version this ACT uses? Does it have any other components installed with SQL?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

As I have uninstalled it I am not sure. Just going by the ACT! website:
Act! Premium uses SQL Server® 2014 Express or your existing installation of SQL Server® 2008 R2.
Caveman
Novice

Post by Caveman »

Any update on this?
We are experiencing the same issue, however on our exchange server. ATM they are stating its a Microsoft error with the Hyper-V Vss writer.

case 01895883
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Caveman,

Are you using ACT! software too?
BuckTussa
Lurker
Full Name: Bruce

Post by BuckTussa »

ACT! software is total garbage. It is a [censored] and is a pain to install. Thanks for the SQL VSS writer solution.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Bruce,

Share you pain – our support team has to fix issues cause by this tool from time to time. Glad you are up and running now.
Bellsys2765
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Artie Maas

Post by Bellsys2765 » 2 people like this post

I know this is a old post but I recently ran in to the same issue with ACT, I was able to find this simple fix at the ACT forum Thanks to Andyman49 :D
https://community.act.com/t5/Act/Instal ... 748/page/2
The problem is with permission set for ACT SQL instance needs to be change to Local Service from Local System

Control Panel

Administrative Tools

Computer Management

Services and Applications

SQL Server Configuration Manager

SQL Server Services

SQL Server(ACT7)

Change Log On from Built-in account: Local System to Built-in account: Local Service
brewcrew
Lurker
Full Name: brewcrew

Post by brewcrew »

Thank you for posting this here! I was having this problem since we setup a new ACT server on our VMWare host. The old ACT server backed up fine, but the new one would error out with this error. Changing the service did the trick for us!
LeifGunnar
Lurker
Full Name: Leif Gunnar Einmo

Post by LeifGunnar »

Hi AlexLeadingEdge & cmeis

Did you manage to resolv this issu regerading Veeam Endpoint Backup and the ACT software ??
Have a issue with one window 7 WS with ACT installed.

Thanks
Leif Gunnar
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Leif,
The solution from BellSys2756 seems to work fine. If not, you can always contact our support department. (In that case, post the case ID and follow-up here) as they have fixed these already a few times (see post of Dima)

Cheers
Mike
Justin Hemming
Lurker
Full Name: Justin Hemming

Post by Justin Hemming »

I had a similar issue and this KB solved it for me https://www.veeam.com/kb2326
stubbint
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Trevor Stubbins

Post by stubbint »

The same thing just happened to me. I've been backing up my laptop with Veeam for years and today is the first time I've seen this error. As far as I know, nothing has changed on the laptop. A reboot didn't fix it, but stopping the SQL VSS writer service allows Veeam backup to run.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Post by tom11011 » 1 person likes this post

Hey group, I ran across this post and thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

I am running a development citrix server with its own database server installed. The problem began when a recent citrix upgrade had upgraded the SQL Express server from 2012 to 2014. After that, I was getting daily Veeam warnings as indicated by the original poster.

I tried the recommendation in this post of changing Network Service to Local Service but that didn't work, nothing changed. But when I changed the SQL Service logon to the top circle "Local System", that seemed to fix it. No more warnings from Veeam.