Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dschauland
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek

Adding an Active Full to a Job schedule

Post by dschauland »

Hello All

I was wondering if adding an active full, say every Saturday, would follow the same schedule as the backup job? Suppose I have a job that runs every weekday at 6pm and want to include an active full every Saturday, would the Active full run at 6pm on Saturday? Then if the next job is scheduled to run after the first job, would an included active full on Saturday also run after the first job as an active full on Saturday?

thanks
Derek
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Re: Adding an Active Full to a Job schedule

Post by kubimike »

active full runs on the day, so if you pick saturday 12:00 it becomes saturday your active full runs.
dschauland
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek

Post by dschauland »

Is there a way to create a regular schedule for full backups on the weekend? I just want to make sure they will complete and I don't know if they all stack up at 12 AM if that would be the case - if the jobs behind the first would just hang out and wait
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Post by kubimike »

I've run into the same dilemma. For one if you don't have SAN integration use the hotadd mode ( Youll thank me later) Time how long it takes to do an active full. Pick your largest VM. Once you have that information you can space out the Active fulls. I do mine every quarter because I do Synthetic fulls everyday. So for example, see my schedule below. Also I since Veeam doesn't have a forecast view like DPM does. I added when these will occur in my Outlook Calendar. That way I can disable the rest of the jobs while my active fulls are going on. You can probably build a script but I didnt want to get into that.

One final note, be sure you have the space necessary to handle having snapshots open for 8+ hours. You don't want to run out of room thats for sure

Code: Select all

SQL second saturday of the month march,june,sept,dec   <-- this one is BIG . Takes 8 hours to do an active full in hotadd mode. Takes about a day to do it in SAN mode.
rds group third saturday of the month march,june,sept,dec
production vss second sunday of the month  jan, april, july, oct
production non vss third sunday of the month march,june,sept,dec
exchange first saturday of the  month march,june,sept,dec
ad/cas forth sunday of the month march june sept dec
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Derek, I'd also warn you against using jobs chaining, since it seems you do.