Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
gregthecanuck
Novice
Liked: never

Testing bare metal restore on Windows 10 - UEFI warning

Post by gregthecanuck »

Testing out the bare metal restore on a new Windows 10 machine, pulling from an external USB drive. The PC has a single 500G drive that was set up as a single partition. There is a "System" partition and a "C:" partition. This is on a new MSI Z270-A PRO motherboard which has a UEFI BIOS.

After choosing the restore point I receive this message:

"OS disk in backup uses MBR disk. This may cause boot issues on UEFI systems."

Do I need to worry about this?

Thanks
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Testing bare metal restore on Windows 10 - UEFI warning

Post by Mike Resseler »

Are you restoring to the same PC? Or are you restoring to other hardware?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

PS: Welcome to the community!
gregthecanuck
Novice

Post by gregthecanuck »

Hi Mike -

Same PC... Thanks for the welcome :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

In that case it is not a problem. I am aware of some issues when it goes from BIOS to UEFI when it comes to different hardware. But not when it is the same hardware

Cheers
Mike
gregthecanuck
Novice

Post by gregthecanuck »

OK - thanks. I went through the documentation and couldn't find anything on this issue. Consider this a suggested topic for a future manual update - a topic on potential UEFI issues.

One other question - there is the "inject drivers" feature when doing a restore. However you can't get to it from inside the restore wizard. You have to exit out, go into the drivers window, untick the option there, then go back into the restore wizard. In addition why does this default to ticked? I would like to suggest the following:
- move/clone the option into the restore wizard
- implement a "tooltip" for this option explaining why you would want to use it (any why not) - and do the same for the manual

My understanding for a same-machine restore is that the inject drivers feature should not be enabled. Is that correct?

Thanks again.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Actually, for the same machine restore I would use that feature. The reason is that when you create the recovery media, it collects the necessary drivers from that system. So when you boot and do the restore, those hardware specific drivers are loaded
gregthecanuck
Novice

Post by gregthecanuck »

Hi Mike -

Yes, the hardware-specific drivers are loaded into the recovery media, but this is not controlled by the inject drivers option. This is controlled by a separate checkbox clearly labeled "Include hardware drivers for this computer" when you run the "Create Recovery Media" function.

At the time of actually booting off the recovery media and attempting to do a bare-metal restore you have the option to do the "driver injection" as part of the restore process. When I do a bare-metal restore onto the same PC that was backed up, there should be no need to inject drivers. The necessary drivers have been backed up as part of the Window setup. That is why I suggest this option should be on the restore dialogs, unchecked by default and include some tooltip/mini help information explaining why you would select to inject drivers.

The *only* reason I can think of for injecting drivers is when you restore onto a *different* PC configuration. In that case I presume you would create a recovery media for that particular machine, boot into that, and then inject that machine's drivers into the Windows image so it will boot on that PC.

Sorry for the long response but the current logic just doesn't make sense. Thanks.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

No worries about the long response, I am the one who confused the two. My bad.

I will have a look at it once I have a new setup. I thought that loading the drivers was optional but I can be mistaken
gregthecanuck
Novice

Post by gregthecanuck »

No problem at all. I am just trying to help out with issues that other users will likely run into going forward.

Cheers!
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod » 1 person likes this post

The BIOS on your motherboard needs to be set to legacy mode because you are restoring an MBR partition.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

BIOS on your motherboard needs to be set to legacy mode because you are restoring an MBR partition
Sounds right. Please check the BIOS settings.
gregthecanuck
Novice

Post by gregthecanuck »

OK - I dug into my BIOS and find there is an advanced setting to enable Windows 8.1/10 WHQL support. It is disabled. I have attached a scan from the manual below. is this the problem setting?

Is it safe to flip this setting with Windows 10 installed? Do I need to flip this setting then re-install Windows 10?

EDIT: Also found a "Boot mode select" function (see screenshot below). It is currently set to "LEGACY+UEFI".

It looks like I have messed up my Windows 10 install? Should I have set these options for Windows 10 from the start?

Thanks

Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod »

You can change the setting without reloading Windows.