Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
amir.nazem
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Amir

GFS job merge

Post by amir.nazem »

I currently have GFS job with
3 monthly backup
3 Quarterly backup
5 yearly backup
Also have a regular daily backup job for this VM.
Based on my investigation and conversation with VEEAM tech support, when GFS performs the Quarter backup, it backs up the current files on the server, however I need the Quarter backup to merge last 3 months together. Another word if there are some files on January and they are delete on Feb and not available on March, they won't be on Q1 backup which is scary. I was wondering if Veeam has a solution or has this feature on horizon for future versions? Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: GFS job merge

Post by foggy »

Hi Amir, Veeam B&R is an image-level solution and it backs up the VM state, not the guest OS files. When quarterly backup is created, the VM state as of the day you specify for the quarterly backup is backed up, so, correct, this state will not contain files deleted prior that day. You need to decide on the required RPO (what is the acceptable data loss), for example, keep more monthly backups. If you just need all the files that ever existed inside the VM, then consider using File Copy job, that "appends" new files while overwriting existing ones.
amir.nazem
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Amir

Post by amir.nazem »

Thanks for your response, foggy!
I was advised by one of VEEAM techs to go this route, I had 12 monthly back and 5 yearly for that purpose and was told this will do it. Nevertheless, I'm open to change my setting to include "appending" data. would you please walk me through and tell me if this will keep previous data and add the new one onto the main backup?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I was talking about the file copy jobs that overwrite existing files and add the new ones.