Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidintouch
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Williams

FEATURE REQUEST/ISSUE

Post by davidintouch »

We are using Veeam with Nimble storage integration for backups and replication jobs. If you have a VM with multiple drives that exist across more than one datastore, you can only perform an application item restore, instant recovery or guest file restore from the drives that reside on the same datastore as the VMX file. So if you have your OS drive and vmx files on Datastore1 and your data files on datastore2, you are unable to use Veeam for the restore of anything other than what resides where the VMX files live.

Is there any plans for Veeam to address this issue? Are there any workarounds? Am I missing something?

I see this as a major obstacle for admins and surprised this is even an issue. Having all of your drives on the same datastore is not optimal for applications with large databases (or other files) that require high performance and run better with multiple connections to storage (i.e. multiple datastores)
BartP
Veeam Software
Liked: 62 times
Full Name: Bart Pellegrino

Re: FEATURE REQUEST/ISSUE

Post by BartP »

To my personal knowledge, this goes for both Natapp and Nimble and in a known issue.
Creating a dummy VM on the other datastore (to have a .vmx there) apparently works as workaround (Kudos to Dries).
Can't help you further then this, i'm sorry.

So, no your not missing anything nor doing anything wrong and yes, i hereby support your request.

PS: little tip on the side: Change your title so people know the request from the topic to gain more support :) You're not the only one, trust me!
Bart Pellegrino,
Technical Account Manager - EMEA
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: FEATURE REQUEST/ISSUE

Post by foggy »

Hi David, thanks for your feedback, yes, we are going to address this limitation in future.