Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nickr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Russo

Moving backup files offsite

Post by nickr »

I'm new to Veeam and would like some suggestions on how to move or replicate my backup files offsite.

I have two datacenters that are directly connected over a fast line. Only one datacenter has ESX servers, while the other has a storage server running Windows Server 2008R2. Veeam is installed and running well in the datacenter with the ESX servers, however I'd like to move/replicate my backup files each day to the second datacenter. I'd rather not use a copy or xcopy command since that will not recover from connection problems.

Is there any utility or other software that can be used to move/replicate backup files in this situation?

Thank you in advance,
-Nick
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving backup files offsite

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Nick,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums!
Please take a look at our sticky F.A.Q. section, that covers your question: >>> READ THIS FIRST : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<<

Thanks!
nickr
Novice

Post by nickr »

The solution in the sticky F.A.Q says to use a Linux host as the backup destination and then use rsync. Is there a recommendation for using a Windows host as a backup destination?

Thank you for the quick reply.
-Nick
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

If you are backing up to Windows, use Windows version of rsync or similar tool (there are many tools like that). There is also DFS-R that is built into Windows, but it has architectural limitation of 64GB for max file size, so does not really suit the job well.
nickr
Novice

Post by nickr »

Thanks again! I'll give RSYNC a try.

Happy Holidays to everyone.