Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Shared Tape Device

Post by gingerdazza »

Can two B&R servers share tapes hosted on a Windows tape server?
Or can they at least share the same tape server (which might have two tape drives)?

Lastly, if I have two B&R servers which run backup copy jobs to each other (BR1 and BR2), can I setup backup to tape on just one of them (BR1) and get the tape job to send...

1. the VM backups from BR1 to tape
AND
2. the VM backups from BR1's copy of BR2's backups to tape?

Thanks
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Re: Shared Tape Device

Post by lyapkost » 1 person likes this post

Hi. One tape server may have only one owner (VBR server). The owner may be changed but you cannot connect one tape server to several Veeam backup servers simultaneously. Maybe your goal might be achieved with powershell scripts, creating different media pools and time division but the answer to initial questions is 'no'.
gingerdazza
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Dazza

Post by gingerdazza »

Thanks

...and what about this bit?

"Lastly, if I have two B&R servers which run backup copy jobs to each other (BR1 and BR2), can I setup backup to tape on just one of them (BR1) and get the tape job to send...

1. the VM backups from BR1 to tape
AND
2. the VM backups from BR1's copy of BR2's backups to tape?"
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost » 1 person likes this post

Sorry, missed that. This is of course possible, you may add tape server to one of your backup servers, create backup to tape job (or two different jobs if you wish) with your backup and backup copy jobs as a source. Keep in mind that the last backup of backup copy job is locked so if we're talking about default 1-day period of backup copy job you will have 1-day delay before it's backup is copied to tape.