Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MattG
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: MattG

Veeam backup/replication to remote site to tape

Post by MattG »

I have a primary SiteA and an archive SiteB with a 10Mb connection between them. I need to backup at SiteA and have an archive copy at minimum at SiteB, preferably written to tape from SiteB.

I create a backup job on SiteA to a CIFS share at SiteA. I then create a replication job for the same VMs at SiteA directly to an ESXi host at SiteB. If I wanted to get the replicated VMs off to tape at SiteB, could I just install Veeaam at SiteB and run a backup job against the replica VMs or would this cause issues? Also, would it just make sense to backup to SiteA and then run another backup (different) job against the same VMs with it's CIFS share over at SiteB. This would alleviate the need for a second instance of Veeam at SiteB.

What do you think?

Thanks,
-Matt
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/matthewgraci
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam backup/replication to remote site to tape

Post by Gostev »

MattG wrote:If I wanted to get the replicated VMs off to tape at SiteB, could I just install Veeaam at SiteB and run a backup job against the replica VMs or would this cause issues?
You can, just be sure to disable CBT on that job in the advanced job settings, as ESX changed block tracking does not pick up external modification to file.
MattG wrote:Also, would it just make sense to backup to SiteA and then run another backup (different) job against the same VMs with it's CIFS share over at SiteB. This would alleviate the need for a second instance of Veeam at SiteB.
Most traffic efficient (and safe) way to do this is to setup 2 jobs against the same VMs. Use first job to backup locally to whatever target you have. Use second job to backup to Linux server in Site B. Veeam will then be able use local agent on that Linux box, that will handle required processing locally (such as creating synthetic full backups). You may want to search for Tom Sightler's posts, he does exactly this and had posted about this before.
MattG
Enthusiast

Post by MattG »

Gostev,

Why a Linux server in Site B? Why not just a Windows Server?

-MattG
MattG
Enthusiast

Post by MattG »

Also, how does Veeam/ESXi handle the same VM being backed up by multiple jobs? Are there limitations to this setup? Can I still enable CBT on the VM that will be backed up by multiple jobs?

-MattG
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

1. Because currently offload agent supports Linux only.
2. See FAQ.