Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Design: repositories across datacenter

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi

In datacenter DC1 I have a number of ESXi hosts and 3 VEEAM Proxies that make backups to a NAS storage (Isilon) which is located in the other datacenter DC2. Since the proxies are on the same site as the VMs, I have hot add backups and since there are multiple proxies, I also have multiple streams to the Isilon. All performing very well.

We now want the monthly backup be made through a copy job to a Windows Server with RDMs in DC2. So the data should travel from Isilon to Windows Server RDMs without leaving DC2. When the Windows Server in DC2 is backup repository and I create the copy jobs to be triggered by the backup jobs, will the DC1 proxies be involved? Which is not what I would want to have.

What is the best configuration to keep the data in DC2?

Regards
Gabrie
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Design: repositories across datacenter

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Gabrie,

You should deploy Gateway server on the remote site to achieve what you're after.
If you will have additional questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 38 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Would I let the proxies write directly to the NFS and then use a Windows Server in DC2 as gateway with the RDMs connected?

Or would the proxies connect THROUGH the gateway to the NFS share? But would I then have to make sure that the gateway has the same amount of vCPUs as the proxies combined?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

The backup copy job doesn't use proxies for the processing, it only uses data movers in the repositories.
However, data movers cannot be installed to the NFS\CIFS share that's why Gateway server is needed, it will move data from the NFS to the Windows server with RDMs. Thanks!