Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
w.vella
Novice
Liked: never

Site to Site Replication Design with same subnets

Post by w.vella »

Hi all,

I would like to ask for assistance/advice from some one that maybe already had a related setup. I contacted Veeam and they were very helpful but unfortunately couldn't help me much at the network part so that 's why I am asking in this forum.

I am planning to have a DR replication to another site. Currently we have two sites, where in the main site he have a VMware cluster and in the secondary site he have another cluster in which the Replication VMs will be stored. Between the sites, we have a Point-to-Point 80/80Mbps WAN link provided by the ISP so we could communicate at the other site without any VPN etc.

The plan is that the replication is made to the DR site without changing the IPs because with the same IPs for some Apps but if we do so, we would create network issues (Duplicate IPs and gateways). How can this be handled? Maybe create VXLAN (layer 2 vpn) between the two sites so we do not cause duplicate IPs etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Site to Site Replication Design with same subnets

Post by veremin »

I think you have two options here. Either assign new IPs to replica VMs (RE-IP) and make sure that names can be resolved to new addresses in case of partial site failover or leave Replica VMs IPs intact and guarantee that only one VM with the same is running in each moment of time to avoid duplicate address conflicts. Thanks.
w.vella
Novice

Post by w.vella »

Unfortunately we still cannot leave only one VM running since there will be still two gateways in the same network (One in the Primary Site and the other in the Secondary Site).
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Hi, replication can happen even without re-ip, the issues will only surface if you power on the DR machines. You can still test the machines using surereplica, and the virtual lab will keep the two identical IPs separated,even if the two sites are connected at L2.
During a real failover, the duplicate issue will not be a problem, since the original vm will be down.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
w.vella
Novice

Post by w.vella »

Thanks Luca,

But then I cannot have a partial failover?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether I follow you on that. During partial failover production VM will be down, so within extended network there will be only one machine with the given IP.

May be you can share some details regarding your IP scheme, so that we understand your concern about duplicates better?
Wardag21
Lurker
Full Name: Ashley Ward

Post by Wardag21 »

Did you ever get a resolve to this as we have the same issue
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Ashley, could you please clarify what issue do you have?