Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Ghent55
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Braxton

Question about old chains and registry value

Post by Ghent55 »

Hi,

I have a question. I currently use Veeam Agent for Windows. I implemented a policy of restore points, and the oldest chain is being deleted like normal (through VBM tracking). However, I have used Veeam Backup and Replication and it worked fine for drive rotations and such. I used registry value "ForceDeleteBackupFiles" with B&R with success. Is there a way to allow drive rotations to work with Veeam Agent? Also is it possible to delete old chains without full tracking of the VBM file? Has anyone been able to get the registry value to work with Agent?

I do know forward incremental used by Agent is limited, but just trying to figure out a solution. Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Question about old chains and registry value

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Braxton,

Working with rotating drives is supported: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

the way it works is that it will create 2 chains (if you are rotating with 2 devices).

What edition of VAW are you running?
Ghent55
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Braxton

Post by Ghent55 »

v2.0.0.700
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

I don't think the registry value can be used with VAW, but what exactly do you want to achieve. When you insert a rotating device, that it automatically deletes all the backups on the drive?
Because with rotating devices the chain will also be transformed depending on the restore point policy so nothing needs to be done actually
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Braxton,

As Mike mentioned you just need to register your USB drives as a removable media in Control Panel as VAW fully supports rotated media scenario. Regisrty key is not required (and wont work) :wink: