Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
nilzor
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam Endpoint backup vs. NEW Agent for Windows 2.0

Post by nilzor »

Hi

I was wondering about the differences and if it is worth switching from the old version to the new free agent.
It seems the new version is build upon the endpoint backup and looks very similar.

In the comparison chart for the new versions it shown that the free version is not supposed to be able to schedule continuous backups as well as synthetic fulls. This does not seem to be true as it works in my lab.
However I'm afraid this might change.

What are the drawbacks for using the older version? Will the old version still be supported for a while or will this likely be phased out in favor of the new version?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Veeam Endpoint backup vs. NEW Agent for Windows 2.0

Post by nielsengelen »

Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 is the next version of Veeam Endpoint Backup. We renamed the product (to reflect the Veeam Agents as they are now also targetted at servers and cloud). You will get an update notification soon saying you can update to 2.0. We will support it (best effort) till the next major release.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Nilzor,

On top of what vmniels says. Can you check if you have a trial license installed? The synthetic fulls is only in the paid version. VAW Free will remain and will have the same functionality as VEB 1.5, including encryption that is added. That will remain free. The paid versions are aimed to have better scheduling, better application aware processing for server workloads and the ability to backup to a cloud provider over the internet (workstation) and some more differences.

But as Niels says, we will remain having a free version. And I would not stay on the older version simply because it has additional bugfixes, additional stability improvements and the already mentioned encryption. But check what license you are using :-)

Cheers
Mike
nilzor
Novice
Liked: never

Post by nilzor »

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Using the free version going forward