Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mtaggart
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Taggart

A few questions ...

Post by mtaggart »

We've been a Veeam customer over a year now and find that Veeam doesn't do some items like Backup Exec does and wanted to know if any of these will be included in Veeam 9.5 Update 3 or 10.x

• Restores from tape backups are very slow as well as take twice as long to run vs. Backup Exec (it’s because the backups are not individual files but images from the backups, BUE backs up the data as is to tape. So, this extends out the time to restore the data - we have to restore the image file(s) first to the Veeam server then we can restore the data back to the location)
• Not able to run a restore of an entire AD backup or a complete Exchange Database backup – only individual items in AD/GPO’s & only individual mailboxes/email for Exchange.
• Month / Year End backup jobs (GFS Jobs) do not run the same way as Weekly full backup jobs in that they do not start after the backup to disk job finishes and that the weekends where there is a GFS backup job scheduled to run, it has to wait until the Weekly backup to tape job is finished first. This causes us to have to use twice as many tapes and it takes twice as long for backups to tape to complete.

I've discussed the last item in other posts but it doesn't seem like anything is going to change based on the feedback I get from Veeam.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: A few questions ...

Post by jmmarton »

mtaggart wrote:•Not able to run a restore of an entire AD backup or a complete Exchange Database backup – only individual items in AD/GPO’s & only individual mailboxes/email for Exchange.
For this one, perform FLR of the AD or Exchange databases you need. For AD you'll likely want to restore the entire DC.

Joe
mtaggart
Enthusiast

Post by mtaggart »

Joe,

What's FLR?

Mike
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

File Level Restore

Joe
mtaggart
Enthusiast

Post by mtaggart »

Gotcha, I looked and see where I can do that for Exchange - that would be a 2 part restore (1 restore for the database directory & 1 for the logs directory). But for AD, I don't see how that would work.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mike,
•Restores from tape backups are very slow as well as take twice as long to run vs. Backup Exec (it’s because the backups are not individual files but images from the backups, BUE backs up the data as is to tape. So, this extends out the time to restore the data - we have to restore the image file(s) first to the Veeam server then we can restore the data back to the location)
Did you know you can do direct restore to the infrastructure? (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95)
•Not able to run a restore of an entire AD backup or a complete Exchange Database backup – only individual items in AD/GPO’s & only individual mailboxes/email for Exchange.
Not sure what you are trying to achieve with recovering the AD database? You can recover an entire AD (which is the safe method) and then choose an non or authoritative restore if you want to restore the entire AD
What is the idea around restoring an entire database? Again I would say it is better to restore the entire VM with the Exchange databases (You can also use our virtual labs if you want it quarantined from production) and our Veeam Explorer for Exchange mounts the databases so you can do advanced searches in case you need to do that scenario. But if you have other scenario's, I'm eager to hear them
•Month / Year End backup jobs (GFS Jobs) do not run the same way as Weekly full backup jobs in that they do not start after the backup to disk job finishes and that the weekends where there is a GFS backup job scheduled to run, it has to wait until the Weekly backup to tape job is finished first. This causes us to have to use twice as many tapes and it takes twice as long for backups to tape to complete.
I'm not sure if I understand this. The GFS rotation is done through this schedule: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95. If you are not seeing this behavior, let us know

Cheers,
Another Mike
mtaggart
Enthusiast

Post by mtaggart »

Issue #1

That type of restore only applies to entire VM's, I referred to individual files.

Issue #2

As for the Exchange DB restores, if we wanted to only restore a specific Exchange DB (along with the log files) I should be able to without having to restore an entire VM. Backup Exec does this with ease.

Issue #3

The rotation is not the issue. The issue we have seen since being a customer and having support look at it is when the GFS jobs run, they have to wait until the full backup to tape job finishes and we also have to wait on a time period of the backup to disk job is completed before the GFS jobs will back up to tape. Why can't the GFS jobs be treated just like the backup to tape jobs are - run immediately after the backup to disk without any wait periods or the requirement of having a 2nd backup to tape job on the days the GFS jobs are scheduled. Backup Exec does this with ease and have done it for decades.