Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
quazer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bart Van den Eynde

[Feature Request] extra VM state condition in backup job

Post by quazer »

Hi All,

besides the automaticly scheduled jobs I have around 54 manual backup jobs and they are increasing every month.
Those manual jobs contains VM's who can only be backuped when the vm's are down (shutdown state).

Those vm's contain no data only OS and inhouse build applications, so there is no need for regular backups.
The manual backups are only taken after a software update and when that specific production line they control is down for maintenance.

The backup's are taken by the production engineers (during night and weekend shifts) and not by the backup admin..so it should be any easy Gui process,like a standard backup job and not a powershell script.
I tried "quick backup" but that doesn't satisfy my needs,because then the job should already exist,wich is not always the case...also there is not option to set a default repository for Quick backups and I would still have alot of jobs.

My idea was to create 1 manual backup job based on a vcenter tag "Manual Backup" and then tag all those vm's..The only thing missing is a vm condition state,Let's say backup only the vm's in that job that are down

Thank you for any help
regards
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: [Feature Request] extra VM state condition in backup job

Post by PTide »

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to ask you why not to let your engineers to use some pre-job and/or pre-freeze script to put the OS and the application into a consistent state before starting a backup job?

Thanks
quazer
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bart Van den Eynde

Re: [Feature Request] extra VM state condition in backup job

Post by quazer »

Hi ,

thank you for your reply

1. It is unfortunatly not possible to put the application in a consistent state (legacy inhouse build applicatuion),the application could crash.
2. the vm's do not contain data,but processes/transfer data..so alot of I/O,no latency/delay allowed
3. freezing / snapshoting will create milleseconds of delay...
4.The only way aproved by the business is to backup these vm's when production lines are not operational and the vm's are down.

so backing up is not a problem.I just wan't to reduce the manual backup job sprawl..and the risk of someone backup a live machine during production.

Thanks