Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

core functionality improvement requests

Post by mkretzer »

- REFS fixes: anything Veeam can do that makes REFS a little bit more stable
- Tape concurrency (source): reading different backups at the same time and thus getting better streaming speed to one drive, especially when using SOBR and different storages
- Tape concurrency (target): Allow multiple drives with GFS tape backup
- Splitting of backup files at specific sizes to optimize for Post-Dedup and so that per-VM (which causes bigger tape backups) is no longer that important for SOBR with smaller extends
- "Instant Recovery" for SQL including Log recovery on the Veeam server - this needs some explanation: It is already possible to mount BIG databases from the backup by starting a SQL object restore (with log recovery) and then while the restore assistant is open using the on the Veeam server mounted database for whatever is needed directly with SQL tools. This just needs to be implemented in GUI, the technology and functionality is there
- Active full of individual VMs from a backup job
- Instead of Active Full give us the posibility to just reset CBT. From what i understand this has multiple benefits:
- CBT reset causes the source disk to be read but causes not the same write load on the backup storage.
- If CBT was corrupt before an Active Full would not cause a consistent backup necessarily. CBT reset would.
- GFS job start time should be changable so it can start running after the last synthetic full finishes to optimize tape backup performance
- Better concurrency controlls: It would be nice to be able to limit the concurrency of example of synthetic operations, especially with per-VM so that a synthetic cannot lead to other backups not running / waiting for backup repo to be free
- Retry on tape backup
- Better visualisation for Tape GFS: Right now sorting and searching of a specific monthly tape is not that good implemented. There is no possibility to filter for a specific monthly backup
- Show more than a few days in backup history: the data is there, but to get to old backup statistics i have to click on a job and press the left cursor button 365 times if i want to have last years statistic (yes, i cannot keep it pressed). I thought Enterprise Manager can do that but there are no statistics other than job status

There might be more but thats what i can think of right now...

Edit: Don't get me wrong: i LOVE Veeam. The last updates were great. I just find it disturbing in every new update all the hype is about "cloud, Cloud, CLOUD!!" and the nice, small features for "legacy" customers are not mentioned that much. I remember 9.5 release: So much talk about uninteresting stuff with the release and then 2 minutes talking about REFS (which is from my point of view the best feature ever - if it works at some point).
mtaggart
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike Taggart

Re: Veeam 9.5 Update 3 ... release date?

Post by mtaggart »

I've been complaining about this since being a customer and it's fallen on deaf ears ... ALL backup to tape jobs should have the ability to follow a backup job to disk, end of story. Backup Exec has done it for decades. One thing to add to this statement is: Don't have the GFS jobs running duplicate backup to tape jobs like it currently does. We're wasting so many tapes just becasue GFS can't run on its own.

GFS job start time should be changable so it can start running after the last synthetic full finishes to optimize tape backup performance
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: core functionality improvement requests

Post by Gostev »

Moving this into a separate thread not to hi-jack the one about Update 3 announcement.

It is true that we have lots (hundreds) of pending feature requests to address - and we've been working through them by prioritizing based on the actual number of requests, value to the product, implementation complexity and the corresponding dev team availability (not every team can work on every feature, there's a pretty hard split). So, one way our users can affect prioritization is keep providing the feedback (to raise the number of requests) and sharing their thoughts on the relative priority when requesting multiple features to be delivered.

That said, as far as I know, at least a couple of features above are already planned for v10.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

Thanks Gostev, sounds promising :-)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

- Show more than a few days in backup history: the data is there, but to get to old backup statistics i have to click on a job and press the left cursor button 365 times if i want to have last years statistic (yes, i cannot keep it pressed). I thought Enterprise Manager can do that but there are no statistics other than job status
There is Veeam ONE report called Backup Job Historical Information where you can get detailed information for desired period.
Thanks!