Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neilpotter
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Neil Potter

Three sites, two veeam servers, how to?

Post by neilpotter »

Site A has a Veeam Enterprise server 9.5, and backs up the VM servers to local storage, and then a backup copy to an off site server (Site C) running as a veeam backup repo.
We have recently merged and the new company based at Site B is running standard Veeam 9.5, backing up to a NAS via iSCSI.
To give them an off site backup, we setup a NAS at our site (A) and have a 100Mb VPN between the firewalls on these sites. We use a Backup Copy job and back the VM's up to the NAS.

All seems to be ok, and backup times are workable with the off site copy for the new company, but the health check is just too slow to be useable.

Is there any way that I can set my Enterprise Veeam server up (Site A) as a backup repo, pointing to the local NAS, so that the Veeam Standard (Site B) has a server with a local presence to run faster health checks, and probably faster backups too, rather than direct connect to the NAS over up to 100Mb connection?

Is this possible, or should we just setup a cheap PC to act as a Veeam backup repo for this remote site?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Three sites, two veeam servers, how to?

Post by PTide »

Hi,
All seems to be ok, and backup times are workable with the off site copy for the new company, but the health check is just too slow to be useable.
Please describe what is their source repo? Also, where is the gateway for NAS at site-A?
Is there any way that I can set my Enterprise Veeam server up (Site A) as a backup repo, pointing to the local NAS, so that the Veeam Standard (Site B) has a server with a local presence to run faster health checks
Not sure what you mean, please elaborate. Do you want to use site-A Enterprise server as a gateway for NAS?

Thanks
neilpotter
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Neil Potter

Post by neilpotter »

Source repo on site B is a QNAP NAS connected to the backup server via iSCSI, via fibre I think, but has really good throughput.

My thoughts were that because we already have a good spec Veeam Server at Site A (running enterprise), could we install Veeam Proxy on that server to work as a proxy for Site B, and can this proxy have the NAS used for it's storage for Site B's OffSIte Copy job.

Now that you have said "Gateway" server that may make more sense, so can I use my Veeam Enterprise on Site A as a Gateway server for my Veeam Standard based at Site B, and how would I go about that. Currently, the two Veeam servers are no aware of each other.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Yes, that should work fine - you can add VBR-B as a Windows host in the VBR-A's console and use it as a gateway for NAS where you copy backups from site B to. Just mind the system requirements because in this scenario VBR-A will serve two transport services at the same time (one for VBR-A's jobs, another one for VBR-B's Copy Job).

Thank you