Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rileybloke
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Phil Riley

Oracle - Backup Instant VM Recovery or Replication

Post by rileybloke »

Hi guys,

I am revising our backup strategy and upgrading to Veeam 9.5, but deciding on backup or replication...

I am wondering if anyone knows how much I/O is impacted by running an Oracle Database from Instant VM Recovery, compared to a replication?
Oracle DB is approx 400GB, 35 active connections.

Also, am I right in saying that in Version 9.5 as long as we have ARCHIVELOG mode enabled, Database set to OPEN and VSS enabled, then we can backup the Oracle database whilst online and being used?

Thanks
Phil
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Oracle - Backup Instant VM Recovery or Replication

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Phil,

Yes, you can get consistent backups of Oracle databases without powering them off by enabling Application aware processing in the job settings.
However, this would work only if you are using windows based Oracle VM and version at least 11g.

For additional information about vPower NFS performance check this thread, should be useful in understanding what other users see and what are the main factors affecting the I/O. Thanks!
goose7791
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by goose7791 »

So with Oracle on Linux, what do you lose?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No application aware image processing that relies on VSS framework, instead you will have to use pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts to prepare db for backup. Other than that I cannot think of any differences, as even Oracle Logs Backup is available for both Windows and Linux VMs, except Oracle Express Databases are supported if running on Microsoft Windows machines only. Thanks.