Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
AlenD
Novice
Liked: never

A couple of questions about Veeam Agent for Windows

Post by AlenD »

Hello,

1. Can you please clarify how can rotating, locally connected external drives be managed for backups?
2. Is it possible to make backups multiple times per a day, e.g. make hourly backups.

Please clarify if the answer is applicable for Free\Wst\Srv versions.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: A couple of questions about Veeam Agent for Windows

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

1. Please take a look at these links for the answer: Backup to Rotated Drives and Managing Rotated Drives
2. Yes, that's possible. See scheduling options for server edition and workstation/free.

Thank you!
AlenD
Novice

Post by AlenD »

Hello Vitaly, thank you for the info.
1. I got almost all answers via the links you provided. As I understand VAW manages independent backup chains on each drive and all you need is to register required drives.
The only minor question is, what if I configured backup on the first USB drive and used a custom folder (VAW_BareMetal) for backups. If I simply register consequent drives will the program create the folder or I have to take care of it myself?

2. I failed to find answer on my second question via the links provided.
Imagine you have a server and you want to take backups every hour. How can you configure it?
It must be independent of events like logon, lock, etc. Just make backup every hour, say, from 9am to 6pm.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

1. Don't believe you need to pre-create a folder on each rotated drive.
2. Yes, server edition allows scheduling periodic backups every hour (there is a screenshot in the first link). For server edition, there is no logon events in the scheduling options.
AlenD
Novice

Post by AlenD »

Vitaliy S. wrote:1. Don't believe you need to pre-create a folder on each rotated drive.
You should not believe, you have to know. :wink:
We are the ones who should believe and hope.
Vitaliy S. wrote:2. Yes, server edition allows scheduling periodic backups every hour (there is a screenshot in the first link). For server edition, there is no logon events in the scheduling options.
Ok, clear, so the functionality is supported on Server edition only. Clear, thanks. I hopped I can get it in Free edition. :roll:

Thank you very much for clarifications!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Folder will be created automagically. You can script the periodic full backup, because free edition supports starting backup job via command line
AlenD
Novice

Post by AlenD »

Dima P. wrote:Folder will be created automagically. You can script the periodic full backup, because free edition supports starting backup job via command line
Hello Dima, thank you for the additional info.

Can you please advice me concerning the following task: how can I make backups every 15-60 minutes on a critical Windows 10 machine?
Does Server edition support it?
Also, in the Free and Workstation editions section I see this: "The backup job must not run more often than every 2 hours". But how I even can schedule backup to be done every 2 hours in a free edition?!

Also how does the continuous data protection work in Server edition? Can you recommend it for use with a critical app?
And is Server edition supported on non-server OS versions?

Thank you!
AlenD
Novice

Post by AlenD »

Hello guys, still waiting for answers. I will be grateful if you answer my last questions.

Plus have a new one: it seems "Backup no more often then every" option does not work (at least for free edition). I noticed this on several computers. Configured to make Daily backups and only one week day chosen (say Saturday), VAW keeps making backups every week, despite the "Backup no more often then every" option is set to 30 days.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Alen - I am sorry no one responded to you for a week. I need to have a serious talk with some of my team members ;)

Answering your questions:
1. Yes, Server edition supports it.
2. You cannot schedule backup to be done every 2 hours in a free edition, but you can select backup triggering events that may cause backup to happen very often.
3. Yes, Server edition supported on non-server OS versions.
4. Not sure what do you mean by "continuous data protection work in Server edition", we don't have such capability.
5. "Backup no more often then every" applies only to the backup trigger events that this setting is located together with in the job wizard.

Thanks!
AlenD
Novice

Post by AlenD »

Hello Gostev,

Appreciate for your answers, clear now.

As for the "continuous data protection work in Server edition" I took that from the user guide:
"You can schedule the job to run continuously — that is, in a non-stop manner. A new session of the continuously running job starts as soon as the previous job session completes. Continuously run job can help you implement near-continuous data protection (near-CDP) for the most critical applications."

So, can you recommend it for use with a critical app?

And one more question, how can I configure multiple e-mail recipients in e-mail notification configuration? I tried separating addresses using colon and semicolon, but that did not work.

Thanks again!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi AlenD,
So, can you recommend it for use with a critical app?
Can confirm that it works as described, so you can use this option.
how can I configure multiple e-mail recipients in e-mail notification configuration? I tried separating addresses using colon and semicolon, but that did not work.
Unfortunately this is not possible in Veeam Agent for Windows, but in case you are using Veeam B&R repository as a target you can use global email notification option with the desired functionality.