Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Backup Copy job failure

Post by nmdange »

What time does the source backup job start? The backup job and copy job should start at the exact same time so the copy starts immediately after the original job finishes. Also if you are restricting when the backup copy job can run, that time should start at the same time as the copy job and not 30 minutes prior.
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Post by kubimike »

Hi, the last backup to occur before the backup copy is one that starts at 12:00am and ends 2:00am. I leave them far apart because of the memory issues in ReFS, gives it time to dump anything being used before I tries to go on and do a copy job + merging.
Any reason the schedule for the copy job task and schedule need to line up?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

When a copy job starts a new "interval" it will wait for a restore point to appear and then start a copy.

Let's take this scenario:
Backup job normally starts at 12am and finished at 2am
Backup Copy Job interval is set for 3am.

Here's one case:
On 6/1/2017 the backup job scheduled for 12am did not run for some reason (say it failed for some reason)
On 6/1/2017 at 3am the Backup Copy Job interval starts and the job looks for a new restore point. Since there is no restore point, the copy job waits
On 6/2/2017 at 12am the Backup job starts
On 6/2/2017 at 2am the Backup Job finishes
On 6/2/2017 at 2am, the Backup Copy that started at 6/1/2017 at 3am now job starts copying
On 6/2/2017 at 3am, the copy interval ends, if the copy job is not done within that short 1hour between 2am and 3am, it will stop the existing copy and fail with an error that the copy interval expired.

If you really need to have a gap between the end of the backup job and the start of the copy job, what you should do is change the copy interval to start at 12am and then change the schedule to prevent the copy job from transferring data between 12am and 3am.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

For a once daily copy interval, the time the interval starts doesn't really matter that much unless your copy will not complete before the source job fires off.

I set my copy intervals to start during the day so that the backup copy traffic doesn't interfere with traffic from my backup jobs that run at night and have no issues with overlap.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect