Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BramV
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bram

Backup copy: amount of data without acceleration

Post by BramV »

We’re currently utilizing backup copy jobs using Cloud Connect. At the moment I’m investigating if it’s possibly cheaper to just use an Azure VM with a backup repository to do off-site backups.
I’m now wondering how to calculate the difference between using direct copy and WAN acceleration, to make sure using WAN acceleration really pays off since the line speed is above 50Mbit. One of our daily backup jobs shows a data transfer of around 25GB and the backup copy of this job using WAN acceleration is about 7GB.
Would a backup copy without using acceleration be the original 25GB?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup copy: amount of data without acceleration

Post by veremin »

For me two biggest concerns would be:

1) Price for almost constantly running Azure VM (repository)
2) Number of ports needed to open between production and cloud environments

Thanks.
BramV
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Bram

Post by BramV »

Thanks for your reply.

An Azure A2 VM (2 cores, 4GB ram) + 4TB managed disk costs about €182/month. Our current Cloud Connect setup costs a lot more to be honest. But it could be that I'm missing something in my calculation.
For firewalling we've currently based the incoming/outgoing rules on IP so ports are only open just between the two Veeam servers.

I'm also guessing that a direct restore to Azure will be faster from this server than using the local one/cloud repository.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can use our VCSP directory to check whether there is a more affordable offer. But of course it's up to you to choose whatever option that answers your requirements best.

Since data will be located in Azure already, the restore process should go faster indeed, unless we're not talking about VCSP hosting backups in Azure and providing you with Direct Restore to MS Azure service.

Thanks.