Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wlcu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: WLCU

14TB VM Backup Copy with GFS scheduling help

Post by wlcu »

I've read through almost all the Backup Copy threads and the User Manual but I still need some help with scheduling due to the size and retention.
This VM is a 14TB file server.

1) Backup Job scheduled daily at 6PM, target is a DAS
2) Backup Copy Job scheduled at 5AM, target is a Data Domain (Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments ENABLED)
3) Restore points to keep = 21 and GFS = 4 Weekly (Sunday), 3 Monthly and 7 Yearly

Regarding #2, will a full copy from source (all 14TB) occur every Sunday?
If a full Backup Copy takes 3-4 days. How should I configure the in sync interval? I'd like all other days to be copied as well (e.g. Monday-Saturday incrementals), I was thinking of doing a daily sync and just exclude Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. Is this possible? Does this make sense? If I set it for every 3 days, the 3rd day will eventually land on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday and restart the Backup Copy Job.

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: 14TB VM Backup Copy with GFS scheduling help

Post by veremin »

The recommended approach is to schedule a backup copy several minutes after a source backup job starts. This way, as soon as restore point is created, it will be taken care by backup copy job. Are there any backup window requirements imposing 5AM schedule?

If a full copy cannot be transferred within applicable time frame, may be initial seeding as well as synthesized full backup creation is a way to go?

Thanks.
wlcu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: WLCU

Post by wlcu »

I can start the job sooner. The reason I scheduled it later is because the source is a reverse incremental and I thought it needs to be finished before the Backup Copy Job can start. Am I wrong? Also, the Backup Copy Job target is a Data Domain (a deduplication appliance)... synthesizing the full Backup Copy Job is not recommended, correct? Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The reason I scheduled it later is because the source is a reverse incremental and I thought it needs to be finished before the Backup Copy Job can start.
There is no such requirement, so you can schedule the job the way I suggested.
Also, the Backup Copy Job target is a Data Domain (a deduplication appliance)
You can test two approaches and see which one works faster for you.