Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stb74
Novice
Liked: never

SQL AlwaysON Jobs

Post by stb74 »

Moving to a new Datacentre and changing the native SQL backups to veeam application aware. Had Created two separate ackups jobs for each SQL node as they are in different datacentres but the causes an issue with the Transaction logs if the AlwaysOn fails over to secondary node.

I have came across the odd post that it is recommended to put both SQL nodes in the same job to handle the transaction logs but can't seem to fins any documentation in this, can anyone help out and point me in the right direction thanks.

I have Case # 02207486 opened up with support but I think this is more of an understanding of the configration.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Re: SQL AlwaysON Jobs

Post by DaveWatkins »

You absolutely need them in the same job. I tried only having one of our nodes in a job since we only technically need to put one to tape. I can't remember if it failed to truncate logs properly or the backup itself failed, but I do remember it not working as intended
stb74
Novice
Liked: never

Re: SQL AlwaysON Jobs

Post by stb74 »

It all works until the database fails over to the second node, then when the Transactions logs are being backed up they can't as they have been started by the first job. It is a feature I believe to stop other jobs affecting the log backups. I looking for official article/documentation so I can show management why I have changed the setup.