Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
neilmacneil
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

VSSControl: Freeze state is none

Post by neilmacneil »

Hello,

I have a case open #0219872. Issue started occurring across two of our veeam servers on various jobs that include windows 2008/20012 VM's where application-aware processing is enabled. Issue is intermittent and usually fixes after the first job retry (but not always). We are running 9.5 U2 in which we updated as soon as it came out. Widnows patch levels for my 2 particular examples (veeam servers and vm's) are May 15th and the issue started to occur around June 14th (VM's have been up for 44 days or since windows updates). These VM's fail to backup with the following error:

6/14/2017 5:03:22 AM :: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: VSSControl: Freeze state is none
6/14/2017 5:05:57 AM :: Error: VSSControl: Freeze state is none

Errors from the windows application logs are as follows:

error 1:
Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: The writer spent too much time processing it's Freeze notification. This can cause this writer as well as other writers on the system time to time out and fail shadow-copy creation.

error 2:
The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

The only link i've found related to the error is this topic "vmware-vsphere-f24/job-hangs-0-t28175.html" but it is 2 years old. The only other thing i've seen was the "Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout" problem. The VM's in question aren't under any additional stress/load. I am basically just wondering if anyone has swung across this exact error yet. There is probably about 10-15 VM's that I can see this happening to several times a week.

Thanks,

-Neil
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: VSSControl: Freeze state is none

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Based on your support case error messages, it looks like our InGuest component can not interact with the VM to do what Veeam needs to do.
Our support sent you some ideas that you can test with one of the VM. If it helps you can do the same with the other VMs.

Maybe another option is that another backup software is actually taking backups. Do you have any Agents or SQL Managment Studio Backups running at same time?

In general, when I looked up the error message from the logs, I found some older fixes from Microsoft ... for example:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/hel ... in-windows
Maybe just check one more time if the windows servers are up to date.
neilmacneil
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil MacNeil

Re: VSSControl: Freeze state is none

Post by neilmacneil »

Hi,

The only one i'm missing on my VM's is the 2017-06 security rollup KB4022726. It doesn't appear to have any fixes related to the issue but i'm applying it anyway to a server where it happens consistently and we'll see what happens. Differential backups on our DB don't line up with the errors and only take a couple of minutes, I don't believe that is related. No agent backups running either.

Neil