Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
suniltn
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sunil

DD2500, DD Boost, EMC VNX, HyperV-2016, and VEEAM 9.5

Post by suniltn »

How does a minimal architecture for the following hardware components and feature set looks like?

12x HyperV 2016 Hosts
1x Data Domain 2500 (DD Boost Over FC)
1x EMC VNX 5xxx Array (FC)
DD Boost
VEEAM 9.5

The customer wants to use FC network to reduce network load. Want to limit use of physical servers for backup.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: DD2500, DD Boost, EMC VNX, HyperV-2016, and VEEAM 9.5

Post by Andreas Neufert »

You can contact one of our partners to offer you a system.

For the FC transport you need a physical Server. I guess that you have a standard Server model in mind then. 2x 8Core or 10 Core with 48GB RAM? Maybe even less depending on the features. You can run all needed Veeam roles there.

Some storage vendors offer Hardware VSS Provider (and Snapshot licenses) that are compatible with Hyper-V 2016. Then you can use OffHost backup to transport the data over FC to the Server.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
suniltn
Novice

Post by suniltn »

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for the quick response. The customer intends to re-purpose a DL380 G7 server for this. Please clear the following points.

1. Do I need to enable Hyper-V role on this physical server
2. Can I use Hyper-V cluster servers as proxies instead and transfer data over FC
3. If I can use Hyper-V cluster servers as proxies, how do I prepare them for proxies

Regards,

Sunil
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

1. Do I need to enable Hyper-V role on this physical server
Only needed if you want to use it as Offhost Proxy (with installation and configuration of the storage vendor hardware vss provider).
2. Can I use Hyper-V cluster servers as proxies instead and transfer data over FC
To use the Hyper-V Hosts itself as Proxy is called OnHost backup and it reads data through the storage stack (in your case FC), deduplicate and compress the data and transport it over the network to the Veeam Server (repository). Then it depends what you have selected for storing data and the storage transport protocol.
3. If I can use Hyper-V cluster servers as proxies, how do I prepare them for proxies
There is no need for preparing the servers, just add the cluster to Veeam and everything just works.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
suniltn
Novice

Post by suniltn »

Andreas Neufert wrote:2. Can I use Hyper-V cluster servers as proxies instead and transfer data over FC
To use the Hyper-V Hosts itself as Proxy is called OnHost backup and it reads data through the storage stack (in your case FC), deduplicate and compress the data and transport it over the network to the Veeam Server (repository). Then it depends what you have selected for storing data and the storage transport protocol.
One final clarification. Is the data sent over LAN after the deduplication and compression? How do I take advantage of the SAN network to move data. Can I use DDBoost Over FC to do this?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

The only way to do this LAN free in a Hyper-V Cluster is to use OffHost Backup with Hardware VSS provider of the Hyper-V Storage.
Then the process would look like this:

VM Snap => Volume Snap on the Storage => Veeam mount the Volume Snap (FC) to Veeam physical Server => This Server read data and transport to the Dedup device by FC.

OnHost Backup would look like:
Host read data, Proxy on Host do deduplication and compression => Network Transport to Veeam Repository Server => This Server use uncomression to write the data to the dedup device in a way the dedup work.
suniltn
Novice

Post by suniltn »

Thanks Andreas :D Sorry for the many iterations. But I now have a clear understanding of what I need.