Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CoffeeCup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Luba

Backup Copy – different repository for monthly backups

Post by CoffeeCup »

Hello,

We are running more then 80 backup jobs on our Veeam 8.0 server and in the process of adding Backup copy jobs for each of existing jobs to implement GFS schema. Daily and weekly backups should stay in the same Backup repository while monthly backups should go in different backup repository (offsite).
As I understand, I have two options: setup 2 Backup copy jobs – first one for daily and weekly backups and second one that put monthly backups in remote Backup repository - or schedule the script on the OS level that will move *_M .vbk files to the offsite location. The first solution can cause some administrative headache and potentially extra load on the Veeam server while second option is lacking of reliability and monitoring (like network failure during file moving could cause the corrupted backup file) .
Is moving monthly backup files outside of backup repository going to cause any issues with the Backup copy jobs (like retention the old jobs, creating weekly jobs)? Is there any other more efficient way to keep monthly backups in different backup repository/location without creating extra jobs?

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy – different repository for monthly backups

Post by veremin »

The second scenario is prone to various issues, indeed. Backup server being unaware of backup files location will definitely lead to multiple errors.

So, the first approach seems to be a way to go. However, I'm not sure where the requirement to have additional daily points locally is coming from, could you elaborate?

Thanks.
CoffeeCup
Influencer

Post by CoffeeCup »

Our Backup copy jobs should keep 7 daily, 4 weekly and 12 monthly backups and currently all backups are going to our internal network storage.

Daily and weekly backups could stay in the current repository for faster and easier restore if required. The 12 monthly backups should be kept for 7 years – initially it was on tapes but we are currently looking for other options - but at least I must move it to another location where they can be archived.

Another concern is space (which keeps growing exponentially as we add more backup copy jobs) and moving monthly backup outside of Backup Copy repository would save us some space.

Looks like the first option is the only one reliable way to implement this? Would it change if we decide to send monthly backup to tape for example - do I still need to setup the second Backup copy jobs?

Thank you very much,
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Do I still need to setup the second Backup copy jobs?
No, you don't. With tape device in place, you can stick to:

1) One backup copy job creating daily and weekly points
2) One GFS backup to tape job taking care about monthly points

Thanks,
CoffeeCup
Influencer

Post by CoffeeCup »

Hello,

I was checking documentation on Backup to tape job and looks like instead of specifying individual jobs as a source of backup files I can specify the whole backup repository “When a backup to tape job runs, Veeam Backup & Replication searches and archives restore points from all backups stored in the chosen backup repositories”. Just to clarify: does it mean that if I have separate backup repository for GFS (Backup Copy) backups and this repository is used as a source for tape backup the tape backup job creates monthly backups for all the jobs that are using this repository? This would eliminate a lot of administrative headache by having just one jobs that deals with all monthly backups instead of dozens …

Thank you very much,
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

does it mean that if I have separate backup repository for GFS (Backup Copy) backups and this repository is used as a source for tape backup the tape backup job creates monthly backups for all the jobs that are using this repository?
Correct
BBush
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Berkeley

Post by BBush »

CoffeeCup, I would add to this advice to read the online help about Backup To Tape. Here is a link for version 9.5 (I don't know where to go to get the documentation for your version 8.0)
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

I would also advise you to read the part about restoring from tape. It's one thing to back up to tape, but entirely different to restore from tape. We should all periodically verify we can restore from our backups.

As this is the first time I'm creating backup-to-tape jobs I am verifying it on Monday (after it runs this Sunday).

Hope this helps.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

By the way, the mentioned functionality (GFS backup to tape job) is not present in Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0, so it might be worth updating to the latest product version. Thanks.