Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
zercho05
Novice
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stefan

Retention / Golden Copy

Post by zercho05 »

Hello users :) !

I am quiet new to Veeam B&R but i was wondering how I can keep a "golden copy" for a VM.
We have a DataDomain as repository all data is replicated to another site via DD Boost M-tree Replication ( not with Veeam methods ) efficiency of replication is better this way.
Usually we keep 60 Retore points. (Weekly Active-Full backup)
My question is now:
We assume a VM was disposed by the VMware Admins (no longer available in VMware environment)
We still have the backup (several restore points)
How can I keep one Full Backup set for a specific VM for a longer period - lets say 12 Months (Golden Copy) ?
I just know it from other Backup Products where i would simply extend the retention on the most recent Active-Full Set but I have no Idea how to establish this within veeam :|

I know there are options with Backup Copy but I have only one DataDomain on the campus and a copy is only allowed if I use another repository/destination. ( I can't make a copy to the same repository )

I think there is also the possibility of using VeeamZip but this would only work if the VM is still available as an VM on the ESX Host.

Please let me know how you would tackle this problem. :)
THANKS
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Retention / Golden Copy

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Stefan and welcome to the community!
I would suggest a backup copy with GFS retention. To crate a copy with one repository, you may create a folder in the Windows file browser and add it to VBR Console as another repository. Then you create a backup copy job with yearly GFS retention.
Or you may just manually copy one of .vbk files in the file browser.
Thanks!