Business categorization for your virtual environment
john.wood
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Dynamic Groups to write vsphere tags

Post by john.wood » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I've had a search around for a way to dynamically update / populate vSphere tags based on other tags. From testing I can only map static groups with vSphere categories.

Couple of different use cases.

I have a category called Backup.SLA with corresponding Tag Category in vSphere.
I'd like VeeamOne to populate the vSphere tag based on the following expressions.

CASE
WHEN Tag("Backup.RPO") = "RPO.4hrs" AND lastBackupDate > DateAdd(Today, -4, "h") THEN "Meets.SLA"
WHEN Tag("Backup.RPO") = "RPO.12hrs" AND lastBackupDate > DateAdd(Today, -12, "h") THEN "Meets.SLA"
WHEN Tag("Backup.RPO") = "RPO.24hrs" AND lastBackupDate > DateAdd(Today, -24, "h") THEN "Meets.SLA"
WHEN Tag("Backup.RPO") = "RPO.7days" AND lastBackupDate > DateAdd(Today, -7, "d") THEN "Meets.SLA"
ELSE "Outside.SLA"
END

Second.
I'd like to dynamically update vSphere tags based on other tags to use in backup jobs, copy jobs & replication jobs.

CASE
WHEN Tag("Backup.RPO") = "RPO.4hrs" AND Tag("Backup.Encryption") = "Encryption.Yes" AND Tag("Backup.Retention") = "Retain.31days" Then "RPO.4hrs.E.Yes.R31d"
WHEN Tag("Backup.RPO") = "RPO.4hrs" AND Tag("Backup.Encryption") = "Encryption.No" AND Tag("Backup.Retention") = "Retain.31days" Then "RPO.4hrs.E.No.R31d"
WHEN Tag("Backup.RPO") = "RPO.12hrs" AND Tag("Backup.Encryption") = "Encryption.Yes" AND Tag("Backup.Retention") = "Retain.31days" Then "RPO.12hrs.E.Yes.R31d"
WHEN Tag("Backup.RPO") = "RPO.12hrs" AND Tag("Backup.Encryption") = "Encryption.No" AND Tag("Backup.Retention") = "Retain.31days" Then "RPO.12hrs.E.No.R31d"
ELSE "No.Backup"
END
VMCE
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Dynamic Groups to write vsphere tags

Post by Shestakov »

Hi, could you elaborate on the second question, please? I didn`t get your goal.
By the way, does the first grouping expression work as expected? Thanks!
john.wood
Service Provider

Post by john.wood »

Hi,

The first case actually works.
My problem now is that when you choose to write VeeamONE categories to vsphere tags, it publishes ALL the categories. Something our VMware engineers aren't too keen on as I've created many backup specific categories that do not apply to them.

Second
(maybe there is another way to achieve this using powershell CLI, but was interested to see if VeeamONE could do it)

Goal - Admins / Users would select from 3 different tags options for their backup.
1. backup.RPO - (4hrs, 12hrs, 24hrs, NA)
2. backup.encryption - YES / NO
3. backup.retention - 7 day, 14 days, 31days etc.

Given that backup jobs can only use a single tag, I'd prefer they didn't need to choose through a list of long ambiguous tags. (RPO.4hrs.E.Yes.R31d)
If VeeamONE could dynamically create a 4th tag (Backup.Plan) that concatenates the 3 user selected tags to use for preconfigured Veeam backups job.

Does this make sense or am I going about it the wrong way?

John.
VMCE
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Second
(maybe there is another way to achieve this using powershell CLI, but was interested to see if VeeamONE could do it)

Goal - Admins / Users would select from 3 different tags options for their backup.

Given that backup jobs can only use a single tag, I'd prefer they didn't need to choose through a list of long ambiguous tags. (RPO.4hrs.E.Yes.R31d)
If VeeamONE could dynamically create a 4th tag (Backup.Plan) that concatenates the 3 user selected tags to use for preconfigured Veeam backups job.

If you want combine 9 groups of 3 categories you will have more than 4 groups:
1. RPO = 4hrs, Encr=Yes, Retention= 7days
2. RPO = 4hrs, Encr=Yes, Retention= 14days
3. RPO = 4hrs, Encr=Yes, Retention= 31days
4. RPO = 4hrs, Encr=No, Retention= 7days
5. RPO = 4hrs, Encr=No, Retention= 14days
6. RPO = 4hrs, Encr=No, Retention= 31days
7. RPO = 12hrs, Encr=Yes, Retention= 7days
etc.

Is your goal to have 24 groups in the 4th category?

By the way, how do you get RPO parameter?
My problem now is that when you choose to write VeeamONE categories to vsphere tags, it publishes ALL the categories
That`s strange. Are all Veeam ONE categories are duplicated in vSphere tags now?

Thanks!
john.wood
Service Provider

Post by john.wood »

Hi,
Yes the 4th category would be very large and difficult to understand for the end users, which is why I'd like to automate it.
By the way, how do you get RPO parameter?
Category 1,2,3 are pulled from a vSphere tags

Category 4 - I want to populate from concatenating Category 1,2,3

That`s strange. Are all Veeam ONE categories are duplicated in vSphere tags now?
It'd be good to be able to select which categories should be pushed to vsphere. (feature request :?: )
VMCE
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

To say the truth, we found current Business View a bit complicated and working on major updates for the next release, so stay tuned.
Ability to select which categories should be pushed to vsphere is one of the features we are working on, good catch.
I've asked developers if your second request can be fulfilled with current grouping expression.
Thanks!
john.wood
Service Provider

Post by john.wood »

Thanks for the reply,

I think when you try and create something that offers so much potential with so many functions it can get complicated and the learning curve is very steep.

Personally I think a basic drag and drop to create groups/categories would be a great way to get people interested.

Another is using SQL style querying, but I'd assume the grouping expression would be having much more functionality added in the coming version?

John
VMCE
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Well, drag&drop is an intuitive, but not really stable option as business view grouping requires strict understandable rules.
One of main ideas is to cover most of use cases without writing code-like rules (grouping expression). Grouping expression is to preserved though.
u19208
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by u19208 »

Hi,
is there any news on the questions posted above by john.wood, since I've got exactly the same questions?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi,
yes, as was promised, new Business View is to be delivered in the upcoming update.
Are you interested in any specific feature?
u19208
Novice

Post by u19208 »

Thanks for your quick reply.
Well I'd be happy if the requested options above would be implemented, that is:
- Choose which tags should be pushed from BV to vSphere/vCenter
- Ability to set a new tag depending on a number of other tags, which can be used in VBR for a backup-job.

Are you speaking of Update 4, or which upcoming update are you refering to?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

- Choose which tags should be pushed from BV to vSphere/vCenter
... Are you speaking of Update 4, or which upcoming update are you refering to?
That will be implemented in the next release which is update 4.
- Ability to set a new tag depending on a number of other tags...
That's not planned for update 4 yet. Could you explain your use case?
Thanks!
u19208
Novice

Post by u19208 »

Could you explain your use case?
I'd like to set tags for vbr backup jobs without using the exclusion feature too extensively. Those tags depend on a couple of other tags (Which in turn should be at least partially automatically be pushed --- by using rules?), to have all vms (even new ones) covered with a backup-job - without the need of manual interference.
It could start like this:
CASE
WHEN Tag("Produktionstyp") = "Produktion" AND Tag("Zuständigkeit") = "SGX" AND Tag("OS") = "Linux" THEN "sgxplbu"
WHEN Tag("Produktionstyp") = "Produktion" AND Tag("Zuständigkeit") = "SGX" AND Tag("OS") = "Microsoft" THEN "sgxpmbu"
ELSE "Test"
END

By the way, can I use AND NOT as operator?

But there are some more tags to handle so I'd like to combine it to one tag.
Can't put it much better than that:
Second

Yes the 4th category would be very large and difficult to understand for the end users, which is why I'd like to automate it.

My problem now is that when you choose to write VeeamONE categories to vsphere tags, it publishes ALL the categories

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the elaboration!
In the upcoming version besides grouping expression, which most of customers find complicated, we will provide an option to create groups based on several tags, including AND/OR as well as CONTAINS/DOESN'T CONTAIN logic.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello John,
Update 4 is released and available. It contains the renewed Business View as well as and a number of other great features.