Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JohnGG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John G

Restore Win10 to new PC

Post by JohnGG » 1 person likes this post

Gday all, i tried the free version of backup and restore and it was incredibly fast compared to the windows version but im guessing because i had a upgraded version of Windows 10 pro and now i restored the backup to a whole new PC that i cant activate the copy of windows?
Am i right in thinking that the Windows 10 free upgrade last year is entirely tied to the PC hardware?
Entering product key doesnt work, the last thing i could try is fire the old pc back up and sign in with the microsoft account and then do the same with the new pc.

Just edited to say, thanks for this awesome bit of free software.
I have been using Veeam backup & replication for 7 years now and this just further strengthens my trust and appreciation in Veeam.

Cheers
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Re: Restore Win10 to new PC

Post by Technogod »

Yes, free upgrade is tied to the hardware.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

I can confirm what Technogod said. This is the downsides of the free upgrade I'm afraid.
But it is not only with the free upgrade. OEM licenses on the hardware are also not transferrable
JohnGG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: John G

Post by JohnGG »

Ok no worries fellas and thanks for the reply.
I did read that if you signed in with the MS account and registered it as a digital license and then use the same amount on new hardware it should work?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

John,

This is actually the first I hear about it. From what I can see it still says this:
OEM :
OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:
- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel
- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on
- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard
- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system
From: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... f4b7ed2fb9