Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
techgirl
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Manual File Level Restore questions

Post by techgirl »

I am moving content from a Win 10 (weekly backups) to Win 7 machine. I have a full larger-sized backup followed by 3 smaller incrementals on the portable USB drive.

I plugged the drive into the Win 7, and using the "Backup Browser" "Copy To..." (obviously there is no "restore" option since it's a different machine and file structure).

Question 1: I had assumed I would need to copy over the full backup first, and then work through each of the incrementals. It appears I may be wrong because after having done the full, I have now moved onto the incrementals and am seeing ALL of the files listed again, including those which have not changed in years - and it is taking equally as long to copy over. These unchanged files should theoretically not be in incrementals. So I now suspect that your browser is displaying to me all files as they existed at date of that incremental, but they are actually linked to data saved in both the full and incremental backup. i.e. I should simply choose the last date to restore from - it will give me the last version of every file; which it may be pulling from any of my 4 (1 full, 3 incr) backups. Can you confirm ?

Question 2: In Windows, "Documents" or "My Documents" contain shortcuts to (My)? Music, (My)? Pictures, (My)? Videos which are at same level as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc... When I copy over all of Documents to My Documents, I can then skip copying over those 3 other folders because I already got their contents as part of Documents.

Similarly, If I have grabbed AppData, I don't need to also grab Application Data (which in Window 10 is a shortcut to AppData/Roaming). That would be redundant. Please confirm this is correct? P.S. I am not populating these on the Win 7, I know they will be populated when I install the programs, I am copying them over to a reference folder just in case some settings are later needed to "make X program behave like it did before."
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Re: Manual File Level Restore questions

Post by Technogod »

Yes, select your most current restore date. Correct, they are shortcuts to your folders located at c:\users\xxx\Documents etc. Correct, you don't need application data shortcut.
techgirl
Enthusiast

Post by techgirl »

Thank you!

There was another question I forgot. I noticed something odd - if I see it again, I will copy the file name - I have answered "Yes To All" to the "Confirm Folder Replace" dialog every time, but at one point - just once so far - I got and error msg for one file (within an entire folder that was being copied over) that said something to the effect that it couldn't create a file where one already existed. Is this a FLUKE ?
Technogod
Expert
Liked: 26 times

Post by Technogod »

Sounds like a fluke.
techgirl
Enthusiast

Post by techgirl »

It just happened again - halfway through copying desktop - a random file I had there - and not the same one it alerted on last time.
The exact error language was "cannot create a file when that file already exists"
It did continue after acknowledging the msg.