Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Sebi!
Novice
Liked: never

CreateSnapshot failed "vm-315"

Post by Sebi! »

Hi,

i´m using B&R V5.0.1.198 on a Windows 2003 32Bit Server. I created a Job with 4 VMs and now i got the problem that two VMs always need a retry or two before they´re backuped.

The error message is:
"Freezing guest operating system CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-315", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True" Zeitüberschreitung beim Vorgang."

Does anybody know that? Can I ignore the error because after the retry it works?

Thanks

Sebi
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: CreateSnapshot failed "vm-315"

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Sebi,

If the retries work, then you can ignore this error.

Though If you want to have transaction consistent backups then you definitely do not want to ignore those types of errors, as both VMware quiescence and Microsoft VSS (application-aware image processing) are responsible for application consistency. That said, if you have all Windows-based VMs in your backup job, then disable VMware quiescence in the advanced job properties and enable Application-aware image processing instead.

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, avoid enabling VMware Tools quiescence to prevent VMware VSS from kicking in... VMware Tools quiescence disabled by default in v5 for a good reason. Application-aware image processing does everything VMware VSS does and much, much more. Generally speaking, you want to use it for all Windows VMs. Also, unlike VMware VSS, application-aware processing is our own code that we are able to support if needed (unlike VMware VSS). Thanks.
Sebi!
Novice
Liked: never

Post by Sebi! »

First, thanks for your replies.

The 4 VMs are IBM Domino Servers which I shutdown through the VMware quiescence. As I know Lotus Domino doesn´t support VSS like it Exchange does. So i need to shutdown and restart the Lotus Domino service for a consistent backup. I counld´t find another way to do that.

If you or someone else know another way I would try it. The best thing would be that Lotus Domino supports Application-aware image processing.

Thanks