Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hoang1089
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hoang Le

VM Restore hard disks take long time.

Post by hoang1089 »

First my topology is:
(1) I install Veeam Backup & Replication on one physical PC (windows 7) the same LAN with ESXI

(2) I have several ESXI server and install a lot of VMs. And I attach one external HDD to one VM

I use Veeam on (1) to backup all VMs and store backup data on external HDD on (2)

So my problem:
I got terrible speed when I restore VM on (2). Backup file just only 100G, but I often take 4-5 hours to finish restore ( Restore VMs hard disk)

How can I improve restore speed ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VM Restore hard disks take long time.

Post by foggy »

It could be HDD reading speed, for example. What kind of disk it is? To verify that, you can try to backup to some other location and then perform a test restore. Also, please keep in mind, that storing backups on VMFS is not the best practice.
hoang1089
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hoang Le

Post by hoang1089 »

foggy: thank for your answer

I check again and find out that I didn't store backup on vmfs. So sorry I edited my post

1. I have several ESXI servers and install a lot of VMs
2. I install Veeam Backup & Replication on one physical PC (A) running windows 7
3. I store backup data in my external HDD ( WD Elements 3.0 usb) that I attach it on a physical server(B) running Windows server.

I think the reason for restore speed is due to Veeam application and disk store place on different server. Is that true.
Can I improve speed when I change my external HDD from B to A
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You will avoid data transfer between servers, but if the HDD reading speed is not perfect, you will still see slow restores. Tests will show anyway.