Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Restoring from .vbk files, on DataDomain

Post by ferrus »

Whenever I make significant change to a backup copy job (destination - DataDomain 2500) - it seems to restart the job history again.
This isn't a problem, as the old files still reside safely in the same folder on the DD.

What can I do when I have to restore from one of these archived files from the DD, however?

They're visible through NFS, visible from the 'Files' tab in the Veeam B&R console - but not listed in Disk (copy) or Disk (imported).
I've tried a repository rescan - but it doesn't pick them up.

Previously, I've copied the *.vbk files to a Tier1 repository and imported them from there - but these are large 12TB+ backups. It would me much easier to import them from where they are.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Re: Restoring from .vbk files, on DataDomain

Post by ferrus »

Is there any way of importing backups from a DD repository?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is there a .vbm file in this chain?
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ferrus »

There is, just one in that folder.
The .vbk/.vib files in the same folder - from after the change are recognized, but not the ones from before.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Then, manual repository re-scan should populate (import) those backups. If that doesn't happen, it might stand to reason to reach our support team.

Also, I believe that in Update 2 we've added ability to import (via .vbk) backups residing on DataDomain using PowerShell.

Thanks.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ferrus »

Can't do a manual re-scan at the moment as there's a Backup Copy Job running - which will span several days. But I have done it in the past with no success.

Looks like I now have a reason to upgrade to Update 2! :lol:
Do you know if there's documentation for that command anywhere?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I would check manual re-scan first and let support team know, if it doesn't work as expected.

The PS procedure is more like a workaround requested by support team, so details are not shared publicly. You can ask support engineer to provide you with specifics (refer to case number 02045241).

Thanks.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ferrus »

OK thanks, I'll log a call now.

BTW - importing from DD/other storage, would be a great thing to have in the GUI
:wink:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Btw, what kind of "significant changes to a backup copy job" you're doing that result in such behavior?
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ferrus »

It was enabling the 'Read the entire restore point from source backup' option, and amending the schedule.
We've had it occur on other occasions - but that's the only reconfiguration I can remember.

The Backup Copy Job has been running for 71 hours and has about 20 more to go - I'll try the manual repo re-scan after that's complete (it doesn't seem to let you while a job is in progress).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

These changes shouldn't result in "forgetting" the older part of the chain, so the behavior is not expected in he first place. I'd let support take a look at this.
ferrus wrote:
BTW - importing from DD/other storage, would be a great thing to have in the GUI
:wink:
This thing is already there, it just doesn't show DD Boost targets.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ferrus » 1 person likes this post

I don't like to see forum posts that end with users placing support calls - and then no further posts, so here's a quick update on my issue:

Veeam Support did suggest using the Powershell method of importing the .vbk (my case no. #02220662).
Initially through a backported hotfix for 9.5 U1 - which failed to work, and then following the U2 upgrade - which did work.

Unfortunately that's just uncovered other issues, as the .vbk has been imported as encrypted (despite having no encryption applied in any settings), and no method of decrypting so far!
Looks like it's going to be a busy week! :shock:

Regardless, for other users reading this - there is a simple solution for importing backup files from DD, through Veeam Support.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Post by ferrus »

Another update, for anyone this may affect.

It looks as though a custom fix is coming our way, to prevent our backups being incorrectly tagged as encrypted.
Still losing the Disk (Copy) job history unfortunately :( , even during the time Veeam support have been investigating the above issue.