Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
tux-
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Hyper-V 2016 to-smb3 or not-to-smb3 and off-host backup

Post by tux- »

Hi,

I hope someone can clarify the following scenario for me, as the documentation is vague about this point. I currently have a 2012R2 cluster running on CSV over fc, and no current hardware vss support.
Software snapshots are causing performance issues on the hypervisors. As this setup will be renewed, I'm wondering what the best setup will be taking in mind that in 2016 the backup and CBT process has changed.

Option 1. Use regular CSV volumes, with Hyper-V 2016. With no hardware vss support, I guess the backup is still running over the hypervisor as the data is read from the avhdx file?

Option 2. Use SMB3 with SMB3 hosts added to Veeam. In this option, the data is read directly from there smb3 host and is processed off-host?

I would say option 2 is better, because there is no data mover on the hypervisor. But probably because of the new cbt logic this is not a problem anymore?

Thanks!
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Hyper-V 2016 to-smb3 or not-to-smb3 and off-host backup

Post by nmdange »

You are correct that option 2 would still let you reduce load on your Hyper-V hosts compared to option 1. However if the CSV snapshots are what are causing you issues, then going to 2016 will fix that in both cases.

I would only look at doing SMB3 if you have a 10gb+ network infrastructure with redundant switches, and you have/will purchase RDMA-capable NICs (which means either Chelsio or Mellanox).
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Hyper-V 2016 to-smb3 or not-to-smb3 and off-host backup

Post by Mike Resseler »

Besides looking at what is best for Veeam, are you considering a green field when you are doing the refresh?

nmdange is right for the SMB3 requirements, and I would certainly urge you to look into storage spaces direct with SMB3 and ReFS that host the VMs. The snapshot commit is fantastic and will take a lot of your resource issues away (if not all)
If you buy new hardware, and will migrate VMs to that new hardware, it is certainly worth considering the proposed architecture of MSFT. But as nmdange says, you need to have the right hardware to do this