Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
benbour
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Ben Bourcier

Using Veeam to Restore shares to new server, new domain

Post by benbour »

Hey there.

Not sure if anyone here can help since this isn't so much of a Veeam problem, as a Microsoft problem, but what the heck - here's the scenario:

Brand new domain is lying in wait, I have a new file server ready to go on new domain with root shares set up the same (3 mapped drives for users via gpo-General,Home,Apps)

From my Veeam backup server, I am able to copy folders and permissions from current file server to new one.

So obviously when this is done, the permissions stay but the new FS can't associate a user account with the SID, just it shows up as an unknown account.

All user accounts have been created on the new domain and match the current one

Creating a trust is not an option. I'm not sure if subinacl can work in this particular scenario?

I don't believe Veeam is capable of copying permissions and swapping from one domain to another, not that I would expect it to. But it would be much easier to find a way to make this work instead of replicating it all manually.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Using Veeam to Restore shares to new server, new domain

Post by foggy »

Hi Ben, I'm not sure how are you actually copying files/permissions - are you using FLR to restore permissions or just copy files using file copy jobs/Files node?
benbour
Enthusiast

Post by benbour »

Yeah I'm using the file level restore, checking off keep permissions, and having Veeam copy to new location.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Ben,

You are correct in stating that Veeam can't copy and swap permissions from one domain to another. And I am afraid that in your scenario, you will need to redo the ACL (PS: gives you the possibility to do a clean new job and completely organize your ACL with security groups only... I have done this twice in the past for companies as a consultant with much better results afterwards, less support calls even if it took some time to get that running). Another method I have used (but even longer ago) was to migrate accounts from one domain to another with the option to keep the SID (I used ADMT for it, not sure if this is still valid today). In that case it won't form a problem

My 2 cents
Mike
benbour
Enthusiast

Post by benbour »

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid of that haha. I guess in the long run it is the best option to get everything organized, just a good amount of work right off the hop, pair that with the fact that our entire organization is moving to a new location that coincides with the new domain switch-over.