Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DusanM
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Dusan Mataruga

'No such host is known' error

Post by DusanM »

Hi.

We have an offsite location and Site to site VPN between our production network and the offsite location.

We use Veeam to back up data from production to offsite.

The process is like this:

We have backup jobs for backup onsite.
We have backup copy jobs that uses backup jobs to create backups to the offsite location.

Backup copy jobs run just fine, no issues there, VMs get backed up.

My problem is this:

When I try to restore a file from backup from the offsite location, I get the following error:

Connection to ‘Veeam Mount Service client’ is not available, host ‘192.168.0.41’, port ‘6170’
No such host is known.

This is not a firewall issue as firewall is open between 2 sites on all the ports. I tested it.

Any suggestion how to address this?

Veeam version: 9.5
VMWare version: 6.0
DusanM
Enthusiast

Re: 'No such host is known' error

Post by DusanM »

Just to add, from the Veeam server I can ping 192.168.0.41 host that is in our offsite location.
DusanM
Enthusiast

Post by DusanM »

A quick update:

I have a feeling that my problem is not really a network issue, but Windows permission issue.

When I try to restore a file and choose "Copy to" instead of "Restore", I can restore the file. But "Restore (either overwrite or keep option) do not work.

Is there a document or technote to point me how to configure Windows server which is my repository at the DR site?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Dusan,

So, if I understand correctly, you can do a copy to of file X to a specific windows server (the .41?). But when you do a restore (to that same server?) it doesn't work. Is that correct?

In that case I would look whether that file is not protected in some way that it can't be overwritten. If that is not the case, can you try to delete the file (or simply rename it for safety) and do the restore?

Let me know
Mike
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The Copy option works since it doesn't use mount to the remote mount server, but mounts backup to the Veeam B&R console instead. I'd check connection to the mentioned address from the repository server.
DusanM
Enthusiast

Post by DusanM »

Thank you guys.

To clarify:

I have production environment. I use backup copy to backup all my Windows servers to a repository at the DR Site. Repository at the DR site is a Windows server (192.168.0.41). DR site is not part of my production domain.
Backup copy jobs work fine. But when I try to restore a file from the DR site repository, that is where I get the error and I cannot restore a single file. Today I will test with restoring an entire VM.

There is no encryption of file protection other than regular file access security. I noticed that security did not carry over to the DR Site repository. That might be my problem.

Foggy, when you say check connection, what do you mean by that? I can ping the repository server, I can RDP into the repository server. What else to check?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ok, since repository and mount server is basically the same server, then you need to make sure Mount Service is running there. I'd recommend asking support for assistance here though.
DusanM
Enthusiast

Post by DusanM »

Thanks foggy.

You are right, repository and mount server are the same one.

I have Veeam Mount Service running fine. At least it looks fine.

I will contact Veeam Tech support.
DusanM
Enthusiast

Post by DusanM »

Ok, I contacted Veeam support. This is what solved the problem:

When I created repositories, I picked my repository Windows server to be the Mount server. That was default option and it had sense to me.

Veeam Tech support suggested to change Mount server (right click on the repository and go to properties) from that one to the main Veeam server (server where I create backup jobs, restore jobs, repositories and where the Veeam console is). After the change I was able to restore the files. I did not need to wait for another backup cycle or to reboot the server. It worked right away.

I am not sure why this solved the problem, as I have Mount server (service) running on the repository server too, I have to understand better role of Mount server.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can read a bit more about mount server here, but basically it comes down to the server where the backup is mounted to during restore, and in your case connection to the service running there was not allowed for some reason.